Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1kzte engine vs 1KD-FTV D4D ???? Differences???

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Hi guys, As you may know I am doing a engine rebuild for my colorado, as I have a spare 1kzt engine lying around.

But what crossed my mind was, why not stick the D4D Engine in instead? The D4D engine is more powerful and overall seems like a pretty good engine, or am I wrong here?

Anyway what are the differences between the 2 engines? Which one is better? Also is the head the same on both engines.....? Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

As the D4D is common rail it will need a lot of clever electronics to make it work, far more than your current engine so you would expect its not as easy as just slotting it in...

As good as the idea sounds, it would just about need a donor vehicle to salvage all the electrics from.
If you had to buy the electrics needed to convert your motive power from old to newer D4-d, then you would never consider the swap.

G.

Am i right thinking the 1KD-FTV D4D engines are 163bhp and the 1KZTE engines are 123bhp ?? They dont seem to tell you whats what anywhere on the net. Im looking for a 163 bhp one for towing but i dont know if all the D4D`s are all 163 or are they also 123 aswell :think: :?

There are a range of different power outputs on that engine (1KD) - going up to 200hp on the Invincible-spec 120 that was around for a while.
With the electronically controlled engine, it comes down to fuelling and engine mapping, plus having an intercooler. I.e. you can add a chip and get a substantial power increase just like that :whistle:

I would think that you could get a KZ-T up to 150 hp without too much of a sweat (add intercooler, increase fuelling) but will the head survive the higher thermal loading? :think:

Andrew Prince said:
There are a range of different power outputs on that engine (1KD) - going up to 200hp on the Invincible-spec 120 that was around for a while.
With the electronically controlled engine, it comes down to fuelling and engine mapping, plus having an intercooler. I.e. you can add a chip and get a substantial power increase just like that :whistle:

I would think that you could get a KZ-T up to 150 hp without too much of a sweat (add intercooler, increase fuelling) but will the head survive the higher thermal loading? :think:

How can you tell the different powers apart. Is there any different things to look for or in the engine or vin number ?? I phoned toyota and told them the engine number and they said it was 170bhp and 6 speed but it was very sluggish and must of been 123 bhp and was only 5 speed. This is like a mine field trying to get the one i want and now ive got the money waiting to be spent im hoping i dont buy somethink for the sake of it :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, I was thnking of just adding a intercoller and maybe a remap or chiping but they might just add more stress onto the engine and then leading to the head cracking.

This is why I asked are the D4D heads the same, as in can you use the 1KD-FTV head on the 1kzte engine as I believe they are basically the same engine. Over the 15 years of having my cruiser the head has cracked twice now and I think it is time someone comes up with a permanent fix....

v8jeep said:
How can you tell the different powers apart. Is there any different things to look for or in the engine or vin number ??
Dunno - as you've discovered, Toyota aren't too clued up themselves. Drive it and see... maybe the 5 speed felt sluggish because of wider gear ratios than the 6spd but that's clutching at straws :shifty:

Beau said:
This is why I asked are the D4D heads the same, as in can you use the 1KD-FTV head on the 1kzte engine as I believe they are basically the same engine.
Hmm this sounds mighty expensive to get right! Are the injectors interchangeable and will the compression ratio be correct with the KZ bottom end/pistons? Do the cooling channels etc on the KD head match up perfectly with those of the KZ block? Are the IPs interchangeable if you have to swap injectors? Probably not hard to find out but difficult to sort out if they're not. My2c of advice would be to spend money getting the KZTE cooling system sorted properly (see Bob Murphy's post somewhere here about his observations on the cooling system). Maybe with an intercooler and not much additional fuelling the engine would run a bit cooler and be less prone to localized overheating :idea:

Thats quite expensive though, but does look very nice. :clap:

Back