Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2001 V8 with no cat.

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Looking under my daughter's 2001 V8 petrol Amazon, there is no catalytic converter.
Is one needed for MOT ?

If it came with one from the factory then it's illegal to remove it and it will fail the MOT. They have been compulsory on UK spec vehicles since 1993 but some grey imports don't have them. Wether or not the MOT testing station will know if yours should have one or not is another matter. Then there's the potential fail
of the actual emissions test to consider.

So a long term MOT relationship might help?

Engine is running superb

Graham, a long term MOT relationship should make no difference. If it comes down to emissions as Towpack mentioned, it is logged, recorded and printed out. If there are ways around it ? no proper MOT station would be part of that. Good luck, I hope that no one has removed it between previous MOTs, leaving you in the lurch.

They're in the downpipe after the manifold i think .Oh,

OK,

I thought it was in the single pipe, after the left side, and right side come together, somewhere under the front row of seats.

Maybe they are there ?

I shall need to have another looksy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
OK,

I thought it was in the single pipe, after the left side, and right side come together, somewhere under the front row of seats.

Maybe they are there ?

I shall need to have another looksy
That's exactly where it is on my petrol V6 Collie - right under the driver, after the 2 pipes come together.

Not sure about the 100 but it's not uncommon to have 2 separate cats for each bank of exhausts on V6/8/12 engines.

They're alongside the gearbox, before the two banks come together.

Thanks Jon

I should get back underneath, and have a look.

Graham

Agreed, there are 2 Cats one each side of the gear box say 12" below the manifold flange - I had 2 new ones fitted with stainless pipe manifold to rear - wonderful job by a Co in Birmingham - great price too - I had the rear slightly be-spoked to alow the LPG tank a little more room - very sweet job

I was always told as a 4x4 is dual purpose they are not needed if the emisions still pass. This is due to the heat the cats run at and can catch fire to hay, grass etc

I really doubt that’s true - I’ve certainly never heard it said before

I have nearly new 2zfu with auto valve timing if your interested - 3140 miles, just use the bottom end or all if your up for the conversion work - it’s about the best V8 engine Toyota make

good luck

My 99 Collie doesn't have a Cat. Not sure when exactly the became mandatory but believe it's around 2007.

Back