Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2003 4.2 Amazon

hogman58

Hi I have a 4.2 2003 Amazon with a couple of problems if anyone can help please, first I have a screeching sound from engine when cold, I thought it might be fan/altanator belts but its not it stops after about 5 miles? also the pasangers side foot well fan dose not work all pipes conected, any information will be greatly recived, Dave:icon-confused:

Hogman, without more information, its difficult to diagnose. Squealing belts do exactly what you describe when cold, until they expand and get warm then grip and the squeal stops. A very quick way to test if it's the belt and you're unsure, start it up and pour a little water on the belt. If it stops squealing.. voila your solution!

Can't help on the fan.

Absolutely sounds like fan belt (not the A/C ww-belt, but the double V-belt). Number one remedy (after keeping the belts tight) is to remove the control-cable for the intake heater, as it takes enormous amounts of current for the first 90 secs after starting a cold engine.

For the fotwell fan - it's the same fan for left, right and defroster (everything up front), so it must be a duct or a valve/door. Shouldn't be to difficult to see if you just contort yourself to look under the dash while running the fan on full blast to see where the air goes, and maybe remove a couple of covers.

To make it a bit clearer when ticking over there is no squealing its once I have pulled away and put my foot down and if I was going down hill with foot of pedel it stops then as it gets wamer it stops,
Regards Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To make it a bit clearer when ticking over there is no squealing its once I have pulled away and put my foot down and if I was going down hill with foot of pedel it stops then as it gets wamer it stops,
Regards Dave
At idle the rpm is so low that the alternator can not generate much power, therefore low load and no squeal. As rpm goes up, the load and the squeal goes up. As the battery gets fully charged, the load and the squeal goes down.
Have a look in the Owners Manual for belt tightening specifications. Also note that as the belts wear, they get thinner (narrower) and in the end they bottom out and give very little friction.

Back