Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2003 LC4 Recovery Points

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
Hi all,

We have had a new member join our 4x4 response group. She owns a 2003 3.0 D4D LC4 and we have been trying to find somewhere she can buy recovery points that would stand up to a kinetic recovery.

The front recovery points shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate but the rears are proving to be an issue. Because of the deep bumpers the only recovery point we can find for it is a towbar. We were trying to find a receiver for a detachable tow bar but it seems that the only company to offer one has a vertical receiver and not horizontal.

Can anyone suggest a solution or even a product that may help us out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bill

I'm not being funny but why would a 4x4 response member need to be recovered with a kinetic rope?

I cannot see where it would be relevent for a member of a 4x4 response group to kinetic recover a vehicle as part of a safe system of work.

Agreed on a kinetic recovery - Lothian 4x4 Response dong allow them ...

As for recovery points, I'm about to make some up go go on the factory mounts on the chassis legs at the back from 75x75x10mm equal angle. If there's a decent tow bar in it'll have corner braces to the last cross member using those holes and captive nuts - longer bolts will work fine I think.

Cheers

As part of our intensive training we get to experience all forms of recovery including kinetic. Even though not every members vehicle will be recovered kinetically, one of the criteria we have for our vehicles is to make our recovery points strong enough to withstand such a recovery. That way when performing winching operations or recovering another vehicle, whether a fellow responder or a member of the public we are not at risk of damaging our vehicles or endangering others if a recovery point fails. Better to be safe than sorry.

We do a lot of work for Grampian Police, Grampian NHS, Mountain Rescue and the Coastguard and often find ourselves in remote areas in extreme conditions. Although we try not to put ourselves in a position where we get stuck and always travel in two or more vehicles, it is sometimes unavoidable that we may have to traverse an area where its possible we may get bogged down. A kinetic recoverey would only be used if every other form of recovery had been exhausted and an alternative means of recovery was unavailable. Although not every member has a kinetic rope we ensure that those that have them know how to use them safely. We would never use them on a car belonging to a member of the public.

So before you jump to a conclusion that we are using them as an everyday means of recovery, relax, we aren't! We just want our recovery points to be stong enough to withstand one if all else fails.

Speaking of training, we spend a lot of time and effort taining throughout the year. We have to do a minimum amount of hours every month and are constantly assessed on both on and off road driving techniques. In fact we have to reach a minimum standard and a minimum amount of qualification before we are placed on active duty. This includes becoming an advanced motorist, holding a current first aid certificate and having a ham radio licence so we can have long range communications.

We recently attended a meeting by the Scottish 4x4 Response Network and was surprised at how little training other 4x4 response groups actually did. We have to have our vehicles regularly checked to ensure they are safe and that we meet the criteria of our group liability insurance cover and we hold MOU's with several organisations. When this was discussed between the various groups were were told that it was far more than they did and one group just got together in the pub one sunday. It worries me that there are a lot of groups like that around the country and if something should go wrong it could mean the finger is again pointed at the off road community.

Good answer!

I work in the emergency services (Fire) and we occasionally encounter volunteer bodies who are woefully under trained and over confident. It's good to hear that you're doing it properly. Personally I cannot see how kinetic recovery can easily be incorporated into a safe sysyem of work without a LOT of training and regular testing/record keeping! Being vounteer cuts you a lot of slack, and outside the remit of the hse in most cases?

Keep up the good work!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Fast,

Unfortunately we cannot get away from safety as our team leader is head of QHSE for a large oil company. Everything we do is analysed first and then a risk assesment is carried out. We have a whole safety manual that we are made to study and are regularly tested on. We can't even go for a pee without writing a risk assessment first!!! It was on his recommendation that we made our recovery points strong enough to withstand a KER recovery so that we knew they would withstand a double line winch pull.

We also have a couple of ex Army transport in our team that are experienced in KERR and knows the pitfalls. It was decided that we were to be trained in kinetic recovery but they stress that it should never be used on a vehicle belonging to a member of the public. It is also never to be used on a vehicle not equipped with recovery points designed to witshtand KER recovery. It is also only ever to be used when all other forms of recovery have been exhausted.

Back