Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2005 1HDFTE turbo diesel fuel consumption queries

walleyBIRD

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys,

Recently Joined the cruiser club and bought a 2005 79 series turbo diesel ute. Picked it up with 218xxx on the clock.
Drives great and no dramas driving around town! Alternator ceased up after about a month and needed replacing but other then that it has been great.

I drive 135km a day for work on country roads and I seem to chew way more fuel then I expected and my rev gauge sits at about 4200 cruising at 110kph. I'm getting roughly 530km from each 90L tank.

Is that a normal fuel consumption and my rev gauge is playing up or am I chewing through way to much fuel?
I have checked my speedo with hema maps and it's pretty good.
Has anyone had this issue before?
Any advice would be great thanks

Your getting aprox 6km to the litre which is a little low how much weight you carrying ? And if your in top gear at 4000 tpm then that would proberly explain it

Your getting aprox 6km to the litre which is a little low how much weight you carrying ? And if your in top gear at 4000 tpm then that would proberly explain it
Hey mate,
Yer utes not taking any extra weight other then the steel tray. I have no idea why it's revving so high I slow down to 100 and it still sits around 3500-3700.

Tyre size ?
a lot of complaints about this with the V8 GXL 7X cruisers which come with 265/70 R16 tyres - these are about 50mm smaller diameter than the nasty old split rim 7.50 x 16 tyres. This might be a handy thing for you = https://tiresize.com/calculator/
this will explain high revs & consumption
Careful about going too big as well as contrary to popular myth you will also get higher consumption.
3500 is too high from my memory - I think my old cruiser was more like 26-2800 at 100K
Rgds G.

Last edited:
Which gearbox do you have? And what's the diff ratio?
You might have 4.3 diffs when it would have been better with 4.1 or 3.909 - as an example.

4200 on the rpm's is wayyy too high for a diesel at cruising speed. You need to either sort out your diff ratios or invest in some bigger diameter tires if you have the space.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Or is it that you have an auto box and the overdrive isn't engaging followed by the torque converter locking up? So we need to know what gearbox you have and if auto whether or not the overdrive button has any effect. Counting the gear changes would also be helpful.

Thanks for all advice guys. I will check the gearbox size when I get home and see what you guys think:

Back