Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2012 OLYMPIC MEDAL COUNT

I must say I was very surprised to see how badly India are doing in the games.

With just 1 silver, and 2 bronze, in such a country with huge population.

Makes you realise how well UK is doing with 14 Gold, 8 silver, 8 bronze, and relatively small population.

OK, by shear numbers UK is never going to compete on a level playing field against China and USA.

I think there must be huge pressures between USA and China at the moment.
Every time I look at the Medal Count it seems to swing on an almost daily basis.

I am biased, and I do hope China kick the pants off USA.

Gra.

Now up to 15 golds for the UK :thumbup:

Hey graham i am not surprised at all regarding the indian performance,they are absolutely pathetic when it comes to putting a bit of physical effort into anything.
I think the mind set between the china and india is that apart from china being quite ruthless is pursuing excellence, including most olympians being taken away from their families at a very young age and training them rigorousley with excellent facilities,the indians wouldn't commit to anything unless there was a backhander in it including the top officials in the gov. departments.They could't give a monkeys if they don't win any medals,they only come for the shopping.
there is a standing joke regarding any indian teams visiting western hemisphere that they all travel with a huge shopping list,so as the saying goes IT'S NOT ABOUT THE WINNING AS LONG AS YOU CAN GET THE SHOPPING DONE. :thumbup:

ram

The whole of the sub-continent isn't really bothered about any other sport than Cricket - which is deeply embedded into the culture.

They make a token effort for a few months during the lead up to the Olympics or Commonwealth Games but that is just it - a token. There doesn't seem to be any "plan" in place to develop the Country's talented sports men and women - whom undoubtedly exist.

EDIT : Go Team GB, GO - hopefully we'll see a fitting end to an unbelievable weekend for Team GB this evening!!!!! :clap:

Murray beat Federer, tally now 16 golds. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As a footnote, I'm also surprised what a bad Olympics the Aussies are having - 20 medals so far but only 1 gold. :o

I'm not complaining, mind you ...... ;)

chadr there is a "plan", the plan is to talk big, have huge projects approved by the government dept. costing huge amounts of money and then comes the important stage where they just spend 30 to 40% of the original budget and pilfer away the rest of the money into foreign bank accounts divided between the contractors, the gov. officials and the top brass in the gov. who made it all possible by approving the whole thing in the first place. You see there is a "plan" but it's got nothing to do with getting the best facilities for the public,nor is it anything to do with wining the medals.

by the way their favourite shopping destination is london and their favourite banks are also based in london.

ram

The Team GB medal count is going up ...and up. :clap:

Already reached 40 medals of which nearly half (18) are gold!!! :cool:

At this rate they will beat their target quite easily... :clap:

Red Oktober said:
There is only one thing this country is good at ................

Loseing ...

would you like some cream with the humble pie or as-is is ok for you? :evil: I've got two slices waiting.

Back