Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2013 Lesotho Blanket drop

warrenpfo

To those that dont know its that time of the year again when the South African Landcruiser club are planing there 2013 Blanket drop and this year they have some big plans.

Peter Zietsman said:
The 2013 LCCSA Blanket drop is taking place at the end of March and we are looking for donations towards the purchase of the blankets.
The purchase price of the blankets is R40.00 ex the Hub group of shops

Please Donations for blankets can be paid into the LCCSA account.

Thanks a lot for your help.
img_8670__1024x683_.jpe

This a cause that is close to my heart and many others. With the exchange rate being quite strong a blanket will only cost you £2.90 so if you have any spare change or want to make a donation do let me know as I am happy to collect the money again and then do a one off transfer to SA.

I know its not a UK charity and there are those that need help here just as much and with the current economic times I appreciate everyone has to tighten there belts but if you don't ask you don't get.

Ill start the fund with £100

I am keen. Missed the cut off date last year so keen to get it sorted early. How do we collect / send the money?

Two ways of doing this. We can do it as we have done in the past where you tell us what you want to donate and when the time comes for us to make the donation i will come knocking to collect from you with either paypal gift or bank transfer etc to me and I then make a one off transfer as every international transfer the SA club receives they louse some money to fees so a once off payment is best for them.

Otherwise if you don't trust me then feel free to do a bank transfer to:

Account Holder: Land Cruiser Club - SA
Bank: Standard Bank of SA Ltd.
Branch & Code: Sandton - 019205
Current Account: 022719997
Reference Blankets 2013 Name of Donor.
Please forward POP to peter @ steritech.co.za

Hey Warren, count me in please :thumbup:

Thanks for posting this, Warren!
The good news for ELCOC is you will have your own representative on the Blanket Drop this year:icon-biggrin: I will be participating and will report back on events. It sounds like a pretty large event this year with more than 30 LCs taking part (and many more applicants turned away) I am not sure how such a large convoy will work, especially in a country where roads are narrow, unmaintained and very winding, but it should be fun nonetheless!

To build on Warren's description, we have a stationery producer sponsoring books and pens for delivery to schools, also seeds and fertilizer (hopefully) will be distributed. So donations will be used for blanket purchases plus going towards the costs of these other products where there is not full sponsorship.

I am happy to help co-ordinate payments if required - I am sure Warren has this all under control though:handgestures-thumb:

Last edited:
I need to make payment for this on Wednesday of this week if anyone else wants to make a donation do let me know.

Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Wangjjang (Chris) for the donation which I have received.

Morning guys!
A quick one from the "republic" - the closing date for donations is this Friday (8/3). So anyone wishing to contribute, please do so fairly soon:icon-biggrin:
Cheers,

Will be making payment at lunch should anyone want to dip in thier pockets last minute.

Latest update

Blanket Drop 2013

Firstly a big thank you to all those that gave of their time and energy to make this event possible.

Also thanks to our various sponsors
Halfway Toyota for the loan of a Hilux double Cab to transport some of the goods

BIC for the supply of 1000 Pens, 1000 Pencils and 500 back packs and 500 pencil bags
img_5145a__565x1024_.jpe

Omnia for the supply of 1000kg of fertilizer
img_5084a__1024x673_.jpe

Bakkavor (Spring Valley Foods) and the Herholdt family for the supply of all the Spinach, Cabbage and Mustard Broad Leaf seeds and repacking into smaller packs

Aranda Textiles East Cape for the donation of fleece blankets and very fancy warm capes.

Geoff for his donation of 100 soccer balls

The Hub Pinetown for their donation of children’s clothes and toys

All the members of the LCCSA and the European Cruiser Club for their generous donations which enabled us to supply the blankets and school equipment. Elsa Boardman using her intimate knowledge of teaching small children had brought a variety of school supplies and teaching aids beautifully packaged and sorted into the relevant age categories they would be used for.

and of course the LCCSA ladies who knitted and organised a few hundred Beanies as well.

Our Blanket Drop 2013 seems to be very timeous as the Cosmos lined roads to Ficksburg and the tell-tale shades of autumn indicate the imminence of winter.

Day one
We (Peter and Jane Zietsman) arrived at Meulspruit Dam, our first overnight stop, on Wednesday to meet with the early arrivals Ken and Tina Schmidt, Andre and Karen Wehmeyer, Adrian and Lorraine, Jessica and William Flack (sans caravan!!!!).

During the afternoon and evening we were joined by Etienne (Random Bulls Supporter) and Adele, Bunika and Lehan Groenewald, Guy and Elsa Boardman, Geoff and Jason Horwood, Doug Fear and Alan Smith, and CM and Susan Kotze.

We relaxed around the camp fire enjoying the company of good friends and catching up on the trials and tribulations of our water drinker. Doug we feel for you but the results will be great.
at_meulspruit_dam__1024x498_.jpe

Around the campfire Pete welcomed everyone and CM gave us a brief explanation of the places we were going to be visiting over the weekend to deliver the goodies we had been able to collect.
img_5065a__1024x493_.jpe

Day Two
Thursday (International Downs Syndrome Children’s Day)

This started off earlier than some of the crowd wanted but with us leaving only 15 minutes late we were all on the road.

Our first stop was a visit to Moolmanshoek ( the venue for Saamtrek 2012)

img_5087a__1024x888_.jpe

Here we met with Niklaas and Isabel Arangies who together with his partner Wiesman and his wife Mafie, have begun with the establishment of a school on their farm to serve the needs of the children in the area. The need has arisen as the only good school available is in Ficksburg and the distance to travel makes it extremely difficult. The intention is to increase the level of basic education to ready the children for mainstream school at a later stage.

img_5105a__1024x445_.jpe

School equipment and blankets for the needy kids in the immediate region where given out here.

From here we went onto Bonang Bacha Health Care Centre.

img_5116a__1024x636_.jpe

A sunflower lined R70 through glorious countryside took us to our next destination, the Bonang Bacha Health Care Centre and to meet with Petrus Grove, a local farmer, who with 12 other farmers in the area, has formed a Christian “Kingdom Driven” Trust. Focusing on the local people who are in bondage because of poverty and ill health they strive for the betterment of their entire community.

One of their programmes is the Health Care Centre, started by 2 local women, who began, using only their own resources, by caring for two members of their community who were ill. Petrus and the local farmers decided to assist in their outreach and donated them an old farm-house where Patricia, one of the founding ladies, now runs the centre, which has 13 beds.

The volunteers who work for the centre are not paid, and have been trained in subsistence farming to meet their needs and those of their patients. Medical assistance is from the local clinics and medics, and basic food supplies come from the farmers who are part of the Trust.

The primary problem facing Patricia and her carers is TB, HIV Aids and poor health care in the outlying areas. She and her team not only care for the 13 patients in the Centre, but their care extends to approximately 60 home based patients who get visited daily or twice weekly depending on their needs, as well as approximately 100 children. All this home care is carried out on foot, and the challenges are huge: the aged and destitute, parents who have lost their children to the ravages of HIV Aids and TB, child headed families, orphans who need schooling, prostitution, and much more.

img_5125a__1024x578_.jpe

We were amazed at the level of selfless devotion in this wonderful centre, and we were so thrilled to be able to help with blankets and seeds, fertilizer, school supplies and capes for the carers

img_5141a__1024x519_.jpe

After a tour of the small but thriving vegetable patch, where we sampled some of their produce and were donated a HUGE pumpkin, we left the Health Care Centre and continued on to the small school that has been set up in the area on the Templehof Farm.
We met with Sandy and Marthinus, had a tour of their small facility, and again donated blankets, and school supplies and stationery.

petrus_grove__1024x507_.jpe

Our last stop was to the area the Trust had set aside on one of the farms to create a bigger vegetable garden. Here we met with another volunteer and donated more seeds and fertiliser.

Our visit had been very successful and Petrus expressed his sincere gratitude for our assistance.
8621854783_d93ecec755.jpg

Lesotho Child in traditional dress

8621854957_fc29c43f58.jpg

Lesotho is a beautiful country where the people work the land and can clearly look after themselves, growing crops not only to feed themselves, but also for export.

8621856145_dde053db7e.jpg

8621857143_2a4bf1563d.jpg

Just look at this wonderful plant that seems to be grown everywhere. It is apparently highly rated for its medicinal value and provides lots of energy and has great export potential.

8621856505_ece3c7fa97.jpg

8621856283_cca21ae8f4.jpg

School classrooms can certainly use a lot of help and even the little difference that was made, was highly appreciated.

8621857223_b6f5f6c852.jpg

A number of Land Cruisers did not make it back.

8621855451_5247a5842b.jpg

8622959682_83e42779a0.jpg

8621855171_b45854d63e.jpg

Rumour has it that these are apparently the remains of a previous 'Bezel Boys' trip, those who specifically did not quite make it home! Or maybe they did - too their final resting places. :wink: Down Adolf! :D

Strange place Lesotho - well sometimes :?

8622959792_6e54b28da2.jpg

Even Rodin would agree! I think?

8622959946_278c5f320a.jpg

River crossings a-plenty.

8621855923_a8da6ca9fc.jpg

8622960190_2883c5269a.jpg

The smiling faces of those who received says it all!

8621854629_b3cd40df31_z.jpg

Thanks you all who donated and gave. In whichever small or big way!

We can never know if we affected eternity, but we will also never know where the influence of these small gifts will stop.

More to follow

Back