Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

24 mpg are you serious?

That's a relief, I thought I was going to have to limit my off roading to the shooting season there for a minute.

:)

Hell yes I am
Still in shock.

Ok so up in Scotland at the moment, drove up yesterday. I knew things were going well when I hit 300 on the half tank. Other than when I was square-wheeled on the M1 for an hour I did 70 all the way. Since arriving I did ten miles or so of slow forest tracks which is not economical motoring

Decided to go and fill up this morning with Shell (same as on the way up) and tank brimmed to tank brimmed it did 23.67 mpg. I reckon with the off road stuff excluded that could have been 24 but in any case I'm as pleased as a pleased person.

It's a 93 auto UK with no roof rack or anything. Now previously it's only done around 19 mpg so what's the difference this time?

Only obvious thing is tyres. I stuck my BFG AT KO 2's on
Same size at 275 as previous. They feel great and have made the car stiffer and more pointy than the old Wranglers.

Ok gone to lie down
Just curious but is the circumference the same on the new tyres as the old ones?
When I worked out mine with bfg's on the circumference is bigger than the original tyres so the speedo is reading slightly wrong - giving a wrong mileage & hence MPG would read higher.
Unless you were tracking it with GPS!

Hi, I'm running a 92 auto on 35"x15" cooper discovery mud terrains with 2" lift with full roof rack and roof tent and winch bar and I between 12/15 mpg lol

Blimey I get more then that from a petrol (not the 24 the 12/15)

Yes they're the same size tyres or I'd have said. Thing is I also do this trip regulalry so I know where I fill up and where I refuel when I get there. So this is a forecourt to forecourt test. Same every time. Thing is that even tyres of the same type will differ from brand new to worn out so there's always going to be a change in your profile across say 40k miles. This is why speedos are set to be sort of accurate on the safe side.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's incredible. Very good and a real game-changer for distance driving.

Just curious but is the circumference the same on the new tyres as the old ones?
When I worked out mine with bfg's on the circumference is bigger than the original tyres so the speedo is reading slightly wrong - giving a wrong mileage & hence MPG would read higher.
Unless you were tracking it with GPS!
When I put 285s on my speedo was spot on to gps. Stock 275s It was about 3 mph out.

I get 28 mpg on long runs. Average 28 mpg on 3,000 mile Europe trips. 24 valve with standard tyres. Presumably it's the rolling radius which is more important than the circumference so other things being equal a harder walled tyre would give you higher gear ratios. Also a hard walled tyre would give better fuel economy as less energy is used bending the rubber and there is less footprint/friction on the road.

265/85/16 - that is quite an unusual size? Not seen that before.......
it was too dark to go out and check! it used to be on the avator before some bright spark revamped the website! they must be 75 then!

Hi guys done my calculations now a few times & results are the same disappointing at 20MPG UK / 17MPG US.

100KM = 14LT

Runing 2inch lift
285-75-16 tyres on stock wheels
Rebuilt complete engine & accesories.

Not sure how 25 to 30MPG is possible on the thread here?
I'm I missing something :think:

24v manual ......285/75/16 BFG AT KO2 best ever 30mpg on a steady run at 55-60 mph on motorways from South Sussex to Harrogate .....pretty standard apart from free flow but standard looking exhaust and the usual 24 V pump tweaks.

Depending if wearing the lead boot around 24 thru to 29, so happy enough with that. I think if I was driving like a fairy with a large block of wood under the throttle I could hit the 30 mark easy enough, but I get bored and well.........you understand :icon-wink:

EDIT: 12v Manual, mostly stock, no doubt the electric engine cooling fan I fitted a couple of summers back helps. (Dave wanders off looking for 'can of worms' emoticon) :lol:

regards

Dave

Last edited:
:text-+1: There Dave. I'm not sure I'm capable of driving at 55 -60 on a motorway yet. :think:

Well flip side I've just used half a tank to do 80 miles lol. Been playing with the ignition timing a bit more and adjusting a few things. Lead boots have been on!

Been thinking if the 3 inch exhaust would help the economy just fitted BFG KO2 tyres now so maybe these will help over time.

Well flip side I've just used half a tank to do 80 miles lol. Been playing with the ignition timing a bit more and adjusting a few things. Lead boots have been on!

Put a Vortec 6l V8 in it and be done with it . 300+ hp and better fuel economy for you i reckon .

Back