Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

285 or 315 muds?

pberrey

Country Flag
uk
What is the view on 315x75x16 mud tyres in terms of stress on bearings/shafts/props etc?

I think tyres have little influence on bearings ect. It all goes down to the Offset of your wheel I think...However of course having a wider footprint means more power is needed to turn the wheel and therefore more stress on general parts, but the difference between a 285 and 315 is only 30mm.

I agree. What rims are they going on?

I'm running 305 muds on 10" zero offset wheels. They look well positioned on 10" wide rims and I would imagine 315s to be OK too on 10".

I don't know how they will sit on narrower rims.

They will kill your top speed a bit and take a bit of stopping too! :lol:

Clive, I have a second set of standard alloys which I'm guessing are 7-8" wide??

My previous vehicle was on 36x12.50 Simex Extreme Trekkers and in comparison to those what I've got now looks tiny. However, I think I'm starting to go down the slippery slope of over-modifying what is supposed to be a reliable overland vehicle. My head says get a set of BFG KM2 285/75s and be happy with them.

My 'other thing' says be a man and go for 44" Super Swampers :)

Lol.

Clive, I have a second set of standard alloys which I'm guessing are 7-8" wide??

My previous vehicle was on 36x12.50 Simex Extreme Trekkers and in comparison to those what I've got now looks tiny. However, I think I'm starting to go down the slippery slope of over-modifying what is supposed to be a reliable overland vehicle. My head says get a set of BFG KM2 285/75s and be happy with them.

My 'other thing' says be a man and go for 44" Super Swampers :)

Lol.

I know there's plenty that would disagree, but IMO tall and skinnies really suit 40s & 70s, but 80s ??......

imagesPWVYN434.jpg

:crazy: LOVE 'EM

Lol, dont tempt me.

I have 285s on at the moment and Im happy with the width but they measure up to 31.5" which on a 3" lift leaves too much of a gap in the wheel arches. I know Cooper STTs measure 33" tall so I will pop into my local tyre emporium with my tape measure.

Of course, if they happen to have a set of 315/75s on the shelf....

Paul.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Lol, dont tempt me.

I have 285s on at the moment and Im happy with the width but they measure up to 31.5" which on a 3" lift leaves too much of a gap in the wheel arches. I know Cooper STTs measure 33" tall so I will pop into my local tyre emporium with my tape measure.

Of course, if they happen to have a set of 315/75s on the shelf....

Paul.

285/70/16 gives you 31.71"

and

315/70/16 would give you 33.36"

whereas

315/75/16 would give you 34.6"

My 305/70/16 give me 32.81" which for me is OK with a 3" (75mm) lift.

Last edited:
Clive

What make are your 305 muds and what do the measure up at on the vehicle?

Cheers

Clive

What make are your 305 muds and what do the measure up at on the vehicle?

Cheers

BFG's (as in my signature) but I've never measured them in the flesh. I've an unused one on the carrier, do I just drop a tape on it across the dia? :think:

I have decided to go with 285/75/16 BFG KM2s from 4x4tyres.co.uk. No one seems to complain about BFGs and I want something that is a good strong all rounder. 285s aren't huge but they are easily obtainable and aren't going to stress the driveline/bearings etc.

Paul.

I have decided to go with 285/75/16 BFG KM2s from 4x4tyres.co.uk. No one seems to complain about BFGs and I want something that is a good strong all rounder. 285s aren't huge but they are easily obtainable and aren't going to stress the driveline/bearings etc.

Paul.

A good choice IMO, my 305s on steels are mighty heavy and may be responsible for some problems I've had in the past :think:

Clive, most of that weight will be the wheels if they are steel modulars.

My BFG 285/75 KM2s have arrived 24 hours after being ordered from 4x4tyres.co.uk and whilst they look great they are skinny. I think you said somewhere on this forum that they only measure 230mm across the tread? You are correct. I presume that is how they make the EU noise regulations and I may get one or two mpg back.

On the plus side I make them about 32.5" tall as loose wheels which is an inch taller than my Maxxis Bighorn 285/75/16 muds and are a much stronger construction which will be ideal for what I want.

Paul.

Back