Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

2LTE overheating problem

tom.cigar

Country Flag
czech_republic
Hello guys, Im facing overheating problem on my 1989 70s cruiser. Everyting starts few months ago. I was forced to change the original 2LT engine. I wasnt able to find proper 2LT so i fit in the 2LT-E. I left in the car original manual fuel injection pump and the rest of my units (no AC) and since the engine was out of the car i changed fan cluntch, clean engine, flush it several times and change all the cooling pipes. At the begining on "new" 2LT-E seems everything fine, but after some time (prox 2000km) engine start having some troubles with overheating and high presure. In cooling system was foam and the coolant looks like cappuccino. It was quite obvious there is a leak on head or head gasket. I started with changing the gasket. Problem still reamin. When I opened the engine second time i was looking more carefull and found several hair craks on the head. After some research I decided to buy a new one - original head from Japan with 0km mileage. When i put all back together the problem with presure was gone but the temperature problem still remain. In next round I discovered that it might be my old radiator. The rad wasnt in good condtion I wasnt able to repair it or clean it more thoroughly. So Ive made a change and instal rad from 78s cruiser - not the new one, but the radiator should be fine. Its clean and looks that the coolant can go thru all the body. Still the overheating problem remains. Next step was thermostat I tried another one but overheating remain. Finally I took thermostat out. Now the engine is running fulltime on the big circulation. Anyway when Im on highway and going around 100-110kmh which is about 3000rpm or doing some uphill the temperature is going alsmot to the RED area. The temperature sensor is fine cause its really unable to hold a hand on pipes when it shows bellow red area. In city, slow ride or idling the temperature is not going over the 1/4.

to recap -
new head - aprox 500km mileage now, just few test rides
new head gasket- aprox 2500km mileage, SECOND time instaled under the head - isnt it wrong to use it second time?
new fan cluntch - aprox 2500km when i spin with fan when engine is cold/hot there is some resist - so it should be fine?
radiator from 78s - old one but looks fine
thermostat out - just for now, when the summer ends im going to put it back
original water pump - should be fine, when I pull gas on engine the coolant level under the radiator cup goes up and down.
original radiator fan

Two more things -
1. one test ride when I turned on inside heater and fans to maximum the temperature level drops down from red to the middle and stay more or less there to the end of the ride (100-110kmh highway ride)
2. this morning i found out that the coolant has brown color like a rust (even though there is only distilled water). It possible there is another leak not from head but in the block of the enging? Or maybe i didnt clean the 78s radiator well?

Any ideas what should I check or do now? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20 (1).jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20 (2).jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 61
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20 (3).jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 62
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.13.20.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 66
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.18.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 13.18.56.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 58
  • WhatsApp Video 2021-05-22 at 13.19.49.mp4
    5.7 MB
Last edited:
Get yourself some radiator cleaner of your choice and follow the instructions and then get some Toyota red or pink antifreeze from your local motor factors and when refilling make sure you open the heater to fully open to expell air in the system would also be good practice to renew the thermostat and radiator cap for the correct one a more knowledgeable member for your truck will be able to help with the correct one and any other information that would help you with the overheating problems you have

Well after all it seems there is a crack in the block of the engine. I changed radiator for brand new, put the thermostat back. The temperature is okay but the coolant liquid is still getting rusty and cooling pipes are hard and under the pressure after long rides on highway.

Is there a way to diagnose and fix the crack in engine block?

Back