Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.2 Oil Leak

Nguruve

Country Flag
uk
Hi All,

My 100 Series 1HD FTE has developed an oil leak. Not good press since it's usually parked next to the neighbour's Land Rover!

Just wondering if there are any known common sources of leaks? It seems to be coming from the rear of the engine. It's filling up the sponge between the bottom of the engine and the bottom of the gearbox, and then dripping from the sump.

I know this is a bit vague, but wasn't sure if there are known trouble spots that would point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

My 100 Series 1HD FTE has developed an oil leak. Not good press since it's usually parked next to the neighbour's Land Rover!

Just wondering if there are any known common sources of leaks? It seems to be coming from the rear of the engine. It's filling up the sponge between the bottom of the engine and the bottom of the gearbox, and then dripping from the sump.

I know this is a bit vague, but wasn't sure if there are known trouble spots that would point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
Update: the rear of the sump had rotted through, and a previous owner / mechanic had simply wedged a sponge in between the sump and the gearbox! 1HZ-fte sumps are very expensive – so a patch brazed on and painted over has done the job nicely.

Back