Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1hz engine loud ticking

Micah

Country Flag
australia
Hi all,

I’m new to the Landcruiser game and am super happy with my new work/travel rig. Just have one concern about a ticking noise coming from the engine seemingly more audible from the bottom, it’s a consistent steady tick that is present when it’s cold and warm and increases with the rpm in with the clutch in and out. Car drives well no blowing smoke or spluttering, has good power but hard to tell what the norm is as I’ve never driven diesel cars before

Sounded to me like an exhaust leak and have since looked over the headers and have found no cracks / soot marks on the runners or flange. Gasket did have a leak and have put a new one in since but noise is still there

Have changed oil and filter using Castrol gtx 15w40, Oil is black but not sparkly.

Have taken off the valve train cover and checked for loose shims / crankshaft damage but all seems good, going to remove oil sump and check bottom end when I have the time.

Have asked two of my mates and they say it’s a normal noise for the 1hz to make but seems too loud to be normal and I have never heard another one making a similar noise myself so hoping to get some more opinions on this?

Any advice is appreciated as I don’t want to keep driving if something is not working properly

Attached is a video of my engine running

Thanks for any help

IMG_1030.jpeg

Vi
Hi all,

I’m new to the Landcruiser game and am super happy with my new work/travel rig. Just have one concern about a ticking noise coming from the engine seemingly more audible from the bottom, it’s a consistent steady tick that is present when it’s cold and warm and increases with the rpm in with the clutch in and out. Car drives well no blowing smoke or spluttering, has good power but hard to tell what the norm is as I’ve never driven diesel cars before

Sounded to me like an exhaust leak and have since looked over the headers and have found no cracks / soot marks on the runners or flange. Gasket did have a leak and have put a new one in since but noise is still there

Have changed oil and filter using Castrol gtx 15w40, Oil is black but not sparkly.

Have taken off the valve train cover and checked for loose shims / crankshaft damage but all seems good, going to remove oil sump and check bottom end when I have the time.

Have asked two of my mates and they say it’s a normal noise for the 1hz to make but seems too loud to be normal and I have never heard another one making a similar noise myself so hoping to get some more opinions on this?

Any advice is appreciated as I don’t want to keep driving if something is not working properly

Attached is a video of my engine running

Thanks for any help

View attachment 337002
Video don’t work https://drive.google.com/file/d/10rihJp_PR_avY9_mvrmNVt_WV-ImzBI6/view?usp=drivesdk

Back