Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4.5 petrol drivetrain problems

m0jpm

Hi All,

Bought my second 80 last year but this time a petrol version.

Nice truck but seems to have some issues.
When on full lock (left or right doesnt matter) its very hard to move forward. also in a straight line it seems to struggle and certainly not as nippy as my diesel version.

i'm baffled anyone any ideas what the cause is?

Apologies if you already know or have tried this but a place to start is to check out that the centre diff lock is not engaged or even the axle lockers while you are at it, the way I know is to jack the axles up and check the rotation of the wheels, it will soon become apparent if you have lockers engaged, the only reason I say this is that it happened to me, the warning lights on an off roader we were using failed, and I didn't notice the lockers were engaged until I couldn't steer. Hope you get it sorted, best regards

Hi All,

Bought my second 80 last year but this time a petrol version.

Nice truck but seems to have some issues.
When on full lock (left or right doesnt matter) its very hard to move forward. also in a straight line it seems to struggle and certainly not as nippy as my diesel version.

i'm baffled anyone any ideas what the cause is?

Could be a seized viscous coupling in the transfer box.

Don't know if the petrol 80s had a VC in the transfer box but if they do it could have seized. I had a similar issue on my 80, sluggish, skipping wheels etc and removing the VC cured it completely.

Many thanks for your replies, It is very hard to get the centre difflock to engage you have to shift the leaver rapidly back and forwards for it to finally engage, the other difflocks will engage but the lights keep flashing. also when you come to a stop when you slow down without braking the car seem to judder at slow speed.

all oils have been changed by julian as ther was a receipt with the car when i bought it

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If the lights are flashing then they are more likly not to be engaged to be fair. it sounds like you need somebody to look at all your lockers to see what the issues are.

Back