Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

4 Wheel drive 80 OR 2 Wheel drive !!!!!!

A modification in Australia is to convert from permanent 4 wheel drive to part time 4 wheel drive in an attempt to decrease fuel consumption.

Roger

was wondering if you could fit a Surf's transfer box and front prop to make the system 2WD/4WD selectable - may eventually persue that route at some point

I rather fear that the seller is simply mistaken in this case.

It's a UK model as far as I can tell. Yes, there were some selectable 80's in Oz (and possibly SA?) where there were FWHs fitted. I think that pursuing 2wd conversion on an 80 is probably fun to try but frankly pointless.

Very tidy truck though.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine is a selectable 4 or 2wd with FWH's as standard.

A modification in Australia is to convert from permanent 4 wheel drive to part time 4 wheel drive in an attempt to decrease fuel consumption.

Roger

And to have a turning circle, rather than a turning zig-zag! Ever noticed the difference with the 70 series between 2 and 4wd?!

And to have a turning circle, rather than a turning zig-zag! Ever noticed the difference with the 70 series between 2 and 4wd?!

This is difficult to do in practice as you can't hold 4 wheel drive on a sealed surface for long enough to check but our Shogun is locked into 4 wheel drive all the time and stability on wet surfaces, especially through deep puddles is far better than the 70, which is basically rear wheel drive.

Something else that comes to mind was a period in my life when I drove a Leyland ready mixed concrete truck. This was a 10 wheeler with two back axles that were fitted with diff locks. When these were engaged, the turning circle was 50% greater.

Roger

The turning circle on a full time 4WD 80 and a part time 80 in 2WD would be identical as the full time 4WD has a centre diff so you don't gain a better turning circle under normal driving conditions by doing this mod...

This is difficult to do in practice as you can't hold 4 wheel drive on a sealed surface for long enough to check but our Shogun is locked into 4 wheel drive all the time and stability on wet surfaces, especially through deep puddles is far better than the 70, which is basically rear wheel drive.

Something else that comes to mind was a period in my life when I drove a Leyland ready mixed concrete truck. This was a 10 wheeler with two back axles that were fitted with diff locks. When these were engaged, the turning circle was 50% greater.

Roger

True; we had a dusty yard or a muddy area in Aus to test this in; the muddy area (when it was muddy) was 4wd only with the kayak trailers on, and trying to park those up with the troopy or ute in H4 was a mission; in H2 it was fine...

I'd forgotten that the 80 wasn't selectable, but you can get the 105 series which is selectable via the FWH and possibly a H2/H4/L4

Seem that we're having the same conversation in about 3 threads... oh well!

you get selectable 4wd 80 in SA just about to go to moz in one. alot of them are like this here.

Back