Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

400bhp LJ78 About to be built

• Thread starter LandCruiser1978
  • Start date
L

LandCruiser1978

Friend of mine is abit nuts ..
And he loves landcruisers especially kzj78's and 70's he must have had 12 3.0's 78's and 70's and a couple of 2.5's He also owns a couple of 80's a 4.2 24v and a 4.2 off roader and still has a Kzj70 and 78
You could say he has a thing for landcruisers
We worked it out and in 10 years he's owned roughley over 35 landcruisers

He was offered a 450bhp engine and running gear and everything he needs for the engine to work from a supra twin turbo auto (it's just had hybrid turbo's , new injectors , engine rebuilt , the list is endless )
So he bought the lot .
Then he thought what shall i put it in .
He has decided on a LJ78 auto so went out and found a nice clean example
With the help of paul at WESTCOAST this project will be under way soon.
The engine is coming out of the LJ and the mad 2jz78 will be built

This is not going to be built quickly built out of hours at WESTCOAST so don't expect it on the road till next year but i'll keep you up to date

Happy motoring
This is going to be mental

sounds like an interesting project, i look forward to seeing the pics. :thumbup:

it has been done before though. :whistle:

total off road magazine featured a bright orange pick up converted 70 series built by one of the lads at devon 4x4. that had a supra engine IIRC. :cool:

Interesting, do you know what drive train components he's thinking of using?

IIRC the orange Devon one had a normally aspirated Supra motor, so whilst way more powerful than the stock motor wouldn't be quite as extreme as this...

Doubtless there are a few with 450+bhp in the middle east somewhere.

All the best,
Toby
1990 HDJ80
1994 HDJ80

You can't beat a JZ engine best things ever. I have one with 520bhp though not in my Landcruiser thankfully

PCDV0036.JPG

338383_269049776440930_114862561859653_1149917_4784607_o.jpg

was that on pistonheads?

recognise the build from somewhere........

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You lot are the only people who we've told .. only got the idea 2 weeks ago the engine last friday and the Cruiser on sunday ...
Like i said it will be a long project

I have a suspicion you are right, it will be a long wait.

They are working on a lexus engine implant at the moment, not heard anything for a while on that.

Personally, I reckon the engine is wasted in a 78 - it gets to a point where the chassis just wont allow the engine to do its thing, the supra is a completely different style of build where the body is designed for the engine and vice versa....the 78 ultimately runs on top of two railway tracks joined by shorter railway tracks!

Will sound great though!

Pete

Thats what he want it for really the sound and the WOW factor :dance: :dance: ... Certainly won't be going quickly round corners :doh:

wobbly said:
I have a suspicion you are right, it will be a long wait.

They are working on a lexus engine implant at the moment, not heard anything for a while on that.

Personally, I reckon the engine is wasted in a 78 - it gets to a point where the chassis just wont allow the engine to do its thing, the supra is a completely different style of build where the body is designed for the engine and vice versa....the 78 ultimately runs on top of two railway tracks joined by shorter railway tracks!

Will sound great though!

Pete

Couldnt agree more.Its a great engine and a great 4wd,but not together. Ive driven chev powered Landcruisers and Patrols and the over the top power makes them useless for anything but sand dunes.

Ηι, How is the project going; I have one Supracruiser a 2jz-gte twinturbo. I made the conversion before three years. I am very happy :). Iam still make configuration for better perfomance.

Back