Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

44 MPG

mjw1999

Just done a 240 mile trip home from Crawley to Manchester this evening. I stuck to 50 mph (Painful i know) to see what the cruiser could do on economy. I filled up to the top of the neck as i left Crawley and then filled up to top of neck again when home in manchester Just over 5 hours later. The fuel gauge was still on 3/4 of a tank.
I used 24.72 litres of diesel for the 240 mile trip which equates to 44.2 MPG.
The trip was all motorway except for about 20 miles of road, i used BP Ultimate Diesel and always do. My Landcruiser is the original 2006 iInvincible with the TTE Chip as standard.
If you take away the fuel guzzling cold start and the 20 miles of roads we used i bet i was doing about 46 to 47 mpg once warmed up on the motorway.
I'm astonished. :clap:
Previous best was 40MPG doing 60 MPH.

Nah! you're exaggerating it works out to 41.198 mpg :lol:

24.72 liters = 5.437 gallon ( 4.54609 liters to a gallon )
240 ÷ 5.437 = 44.14

so yes exaggerating a little should have been 44.1 MPG

I recently went to see Julian V, and not wanting to be too late was stepping on it a bit (all within legal speed limits of course ;) ) from South London to Ledbury, on the way back I topped the tank with 46.6 ltrs after doing 163 miles I make that 16.97 mpg. which is roughly what I get with my normal driving.
I religiously stuck to 50 mph on the way home (boring :( ) to see what the Cruiser could do taking it easy. I filled up to the top with 28.38 ltrs when I got back after doing 129 miles and I make that 20.67 mpg. The fuel gauge still read above 3/4 of a tank.
The last time I filled up about a week ago I had used 52.28 ltrs to do 197 miles of my normal driving :twisted: which I worked out as 17.14 mpg, so taking it easy didn't save me much. :thumbdown:

Amongst a few other jobs Julian fitted HID's in the main beams, the Cruiser now has HID's in all four headlamps, now including my two HID spots night time doesn't exist anymore
"Let there be light"
I can blister the paintwork on Range Rovers boot lids now. :twisted:

One other thing that puzzles me is no matter what time of day I leave or what the traffic is like the 145 mile trip to Julian always takes me about 4 hrs :confusion-confused:

44 mpg,

Naw,

Never.

You definatly have some thing wrong.

44 mpg, never in a month of Sundays.

Graham

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cossack said:
taking it easy didn't save me much.

Yep, same here. I get roughly 20mpg irrespective of terrain or driving style whether it's 50-70mph, motorway, town or off-road, there is virtually nothing between them.

At least it's consistent :sick: I'm getting the injectors done so will be interesting to see if it makes any difference :think:

Graham said:
44 mpg,

Naw,

Never.

Graham

Why is it not Possible. I,m not the first to mention getting low 40's from their lc120.
I use premium fuel, Have the official performance chip, have the more modern 5 speed autobox, use standard road biased tyres (my BFG at's cost me about 15% less in economy when i fitted them to my 07 hilux so i have not put them on the cruiser even though they would look the dogs), have a very light foot and only touched the breaks 4 or 5 times during the whole journey, left the cruise control at 50mph all the way. I hate the way people dismiss your efforts as made up, just because they think you have achieved a bit more than the norm.

Graham I seem to remember you quoting getting 32mph averaging 70ish mpg coming home from norway or finland or somewhere. So think about it, if you slowed down to 50mph (boring i know) had road tyres on, had the benefit of a 5 speed autobox, had the tte chip, used premium diesel (which you may have), had a lighter load, you may have got 40's yourself.

Hope you dont think i'm trying to start an argument m8, But the fact is that is what i achieved, unless the pumps were faulty, which i know they were not going off my fuel gauge.

My normal consumption on CLEAR motorway runs is this.
70mph = 32mpg
60mph = 39-40mpg (my usual speed on the motorway)

Towing a twin axle caravan = ? i will let you know.

mjw1999 said:
Graham said:
44 mpg,

Naw,

Never.

Graham

Why is it not Possible. I,m not the first to mention getting low 40's from their lc120.
I use premium fuel, Have the official performance chip, have the more modern 5 speed autobox, use standard road biased tyres (my BFG at's cost me about 15% less in economy when i fitted them to my 07 hilux so i have not put them on the cruiser even though they would look the dogs), have a very light foot and only touched the breaks 4 or 5 times during the whole journey, left the cruise control at 50mph all the way. I hate the way people dismiss your efforts as made up, just because they think you have achieved a bit more than the norm.

Graham I seem to remember you quoting getting 32mph averaging 70ish mpg coming home from norway or finland or somewhere. So think about it, if you slowed down to 50mph (boring i know) had road tyres on, had the benefit of a 5 speed autobox, had the tte chip, used premium diesel (which you may have), had a lighter load, you may have got 40's yourself.

Hope you dont think i'm trying to start an argument m8, But the fact is that is what i achieved, unless the pumps were faulty, which i know they were not going off my fuel gauge.

My normal consumption on CLEAR motorway runs is this.
70mph = 32mpg
60mph = 39-40mpg (my usual speed on the motorway)

Towing a twin axle caravan = ? i will let you know.
Hi mjw,

No augument at all,

When I did a long run from Norway, I kept between 60 and 65 mph
I just used the cheapest diesel I could see on the side of the road.
4 speed auto box.
I did have the BFG A/T's on.
I have 225,000 miles, on engine.

I would love to see the other side of 35 mpg, in any condition, but I just can't bring myself to accept I ever will.

Great that you got 44 mpg.

Well done.

Graham

Back