Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

60/80 series Gearbox compatibility.

Olazz

Country Flag
zimbabwe
Would anyone know if one can swap a 60 series gearbox into an 80 series?
Are they compatible.. I can't find any info on this despite many searches.

I ask because I have a 60 series that has covered a genuine 54K miles and an 80 series with a gearbox, done 140k miles.
Need to do the clutch on the 80 anyway so wondered if I could swap them. I don't have any issues with the current g/box, but have been led to believe that the early 12v 80's have reverse problems and can sheer synchros if trying a recovery in reverse.

Over to y'all....

Hi mate, Personally never heard of that swap but the sixty is nowhere near as big as the 80 box so mods would be needed probs etc. Never heard of the reverse issue on the 80. Only the prob with 3nd to 3rd synchos.
Karl

IIRC this was talked about on 'MUD' and it was deemed not doable or not sensible one or the other, re the gearbox I do not think there is synchro on reverse however, these gearboxes do have weak second and third synchros and mentioned earlier. The 'thing' about reverse recoverys in an LC is the front differential is weak and liable to go bang in a big way....NEVER do reverse recoveries in an 80.

regards

Dave

Dave 2000 said:
NEVER do reverse recoveries in an 80.
that may be a little strong- the front diff on an LC is still way stronger than a rover diff and will happily cope with front attached recoveries if you don't go silly.

pugwash said:
Dave 2000 said:
NEVER do reverse recoveries in an 80.
that may be a little strong- the front diff on an LC is still way stronger than a rover diff and will happily cope with front attached recoveries if you don't go silly.

Not looking to rock anyones boat but I have only had five issues with Landcruiser differentials, 2 were problems with the rear lockers, 1 with a problem on the front locker and yep you guessed it two complete replacement diffs because one owner decided to recover a friends car from the sand on the beach and the other was someone who felt they had no need for a small olive tree tree in the front garden, both front differentials were completely destroyed, both were towing from the front and reversing. I was not comparing Rover with Landcruiser here so I am unsure where that came from but saying 'don't go silly' is somewhat vague, at what point are you 'going silly'? Suffice to say and you can trust me on this, the front diff is weaker than the rear because IMHO the point of pinion to crownwheel contact is positioned to be stronger going forward than if in reverse, if I was to do a recovery it would be towing from the rear.

regards

Dave

I think it is never a good idea to bump start a vehicle in reverse, or attempt to reverse tow something that is stuck, the low gear ratio of reverse gear puts a massive strain on the drivetrain & something at some time will go bang & it really don't matter who built it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back