Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

75 series grinding noise while decelerating in gear?

Haydock

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys..

I have just bought a 1997 75 series Landcruiser ute 4.2 diesel.
The problem i have is there is a grinding noise, while decelerating in every gear, can feel small vibration but mainly just noise.. its sounds horrible but is only when decelerating, accelerating not a problem..

Is this gearbox related or driveshaft and uni joint related or diff related...

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? It would be appreciated greatly..

Thanks

Hey guys..

I have just bought a 1997 75 series Landcruiser ute 4.2 diesel.
The problem i have is there is a grinding noise, while decelerating in every gear, can feel small vibration but mainly just noise.. its sounds horrible but is only when decelerating, accelerating not a problem..

Is this gearbox related or driveshaft and uni joint related or diff related...

Can anyone shed some light on the matter? It would be appreciated greatly..

Thanks

Hi I recently had this noise and it was input shaft bearing. Hope it isn't what you have. I replaced with rebuilt gearbox as costs of pulling box off and changing bearing was same. At same time replaced seal and clutch.

I had a noise like that, not loud ,drove me and a mechanic mad. Turned out to be a mud flap swing forward and rubbing on the back tyres.

How many klms on the vehicle?
i would try and replicate the noise by putting the t/case in neutral and drop down through the gears with the engine running. If you have grease nipples on your uni joints(many dont have them now) ,try pumping some grease into them and see if the noise changes or goes away.While you are under there., put a bar or a big screw driver into the ujoints and see if you can get some movement.

Back