Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

76 - 78 series - where to look to buy for restoration / mod for expedition offroading ?

ViktorBerg

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All,

I'm currently in the search of a 7 series V8 land cruiser - 76/78 - something with a good engine, the rest doesn't matter much as it would be mostly re-built / customized anyways.

Question is what's a good place to look? So far any searches in google didn't come back with a single positive result. ( I'm yet to browse through this site as I have just found it )

Looking for a very low price as the car would be customized, so don't need anything that's newly painted, has custom parts etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not many j7 v8's in this part of the world

Maybe an 80 would do, V8 is definitely a must, just can't seem to find any pages to look for one.

Any suggestions ?

If I wanted a left hand drive where do I need to look? Australia ?

Up until this year a 70 series LHD was not was not available with a V8 and I believe is only sold in the UAE. 1HZ diesel or 1GR petrols are available LHD but again the UAE would probably be your best bet for left hand drive, i think Canada got them as mining trucks but the would be pretty shot if you could even get one.

Up until this year a 70 series LHD was not was not available with a V8 and I believe is only sold in the UAE. 1HZ diesel or 1GR petrols are available LHD but again the UAE would probably be your best bet for left hand drive, i think Canada got them as mining trucks but the would be pretty shot if you could even get one.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Australian customized ones that were V8 and were 7 series but could be very wrong here.

Which series would have a v8 engine and been around for long enough so I could find a cheap one to restore to my needs rather than investing into something more expensive ?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Australian customized ones that were V8 and were 7 series but could be very wrong here.

Which series would have a v8 engine and been around for long enough so I could find a cheap one to restore to my needs rather than investing into something more expensive ?

Or maybe 6 series ? Are they in order as price varies ? FJ62 looks pretty awesome, would that be a cheaper option ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Australia isnt LHD..... and the v8 didnt meet euro6 (or was it 5 ?) Spec to be sold in the EU.

hi the V8 has been around for a number of years in 70 series but only in RHD so would be available form South Africa or Australia. As already said the V8 only meets euro4 that's why it isn't available in Europe and why the 200 series is no longer available to the UK market.
For for a LHD you are limited.

hi the V8 has been around for a number of years in 70 series but only in RHD so would be available form South Africa or Australia. As already said the V8 only meets euro4 that's why it isn't available in Europe and why the 200 series is no longer available to the UK market.
For for a LHD you are limited.
Thanks Ash, getting closer to a solution how to sort this out. What's a good way to find a good chassis ? It seems all the rest would be mostly replaced one way or another - I'm looking to spend around 1-3k to get something that has a solid chassis and very good undercarriage.

hi
I am in Saudi
its LHD this end of the desert only (not sure if that's by law or not - either way very few RHD to be seen)
its also Petrol Country - and big motor Petrol country....(obviously)
so most LC available will be Petrol V6 (70 series) V6/V8 (200 series) -
Diesel pump price is half of regular petrol is considered stuff for trucks and busses - not for cars!
(and with petrol now costing 30USD CENTS - why even consider Diesel..)
plus - we get three specs of LC's
1. the import spec - basically the ex-Jap version
2. the local spec - this is the one with side decals and a choice of wooden steering wheels, detailed airvents (normally full house spec level)
3. other -Grey imports - from LC agents distinguishable by weird spec levels

Hi Rob

How hard would it be to buy and export a cruiser from Saudi?

What are the prices like?

Cheers

not sure - but remember that Bahrain and Dubai are past masters here - i would suggest contact direct with one of the dealers
my reference to pricing is Saudi vs South Africa?
Purchase pricing i think is quiet keen but then again there are minimal hidden taxes......
by way of example my stock standard 71 shorty cost SAR 120000 ZAR 420000. now the closest direct equivalent in RSA is the 76 (about ZAR600000)

Thanks Ash, getting closer to a solution how to sort this out. What's a good way to find a good chassis ? It seems all the rest would be mostly replaced one way or another - I'm looking to spend around 1-3k to get something that has a solid chassis and very good undercarriage.

You'll be struggling to find a VDJ7x chassis and engine for £1-3k; a 1VD-FTV is about AU$9k (so £4.5k-ish) before you even include the chassis... If you do find one cheaper, it's likely to be an ex-mines vehicle and they're often rooted due to the environment they operate in and the loads they are placed under.

Back