Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80-less once again

Fett

:(

well gents I went to dorset today and had a look.

Sadly the engine, gearbox and transfer box all leaked :o

and the front swivels were both leaking and one was dripping on the tyer/wheel

the full service history (which was just stamps, no invoices) stopped 16k ago and was from random garages , only the first bits were toyota/lexus.

there was quite a bit of rust on the rear body mounts and the rubbers were perished.

the brakes had one hell of a lot of pedal travel and there was a nice lip on the front discs.

the laquer was peeling on the bonnet and a little rust starting on the windscreen edge at the top.

the oil pressure was about 2.25mm below the lower mark. also that oil light was on all the time but wasnt a pressure fault.

Both batteries were pretty old to say the least lol

on the plus points the interior was good and the aircon worked. But in the end it wasnt really the car I am looking for and I did make an offer but it wasnt too high or serious. I am after an lpg burner anyway really or an enthusiasts diesel.

the search continues.

Sadly the engine, gearbox and transfer box all leaked

and the front swivels were both leaking and one was dripping on the tyer/wheel

Sounds just like mine.. ;)
Bad luck Fett, keep looking mate.

Saw a 24v td on eBay that looks pretty decent for about the same money. Might be worth a look?

dyladams said:
Saw a 24v td on eBay that looks pretty decent for about the same money. Might be worth a look?

sounds interesting, you got the link mate :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
'One of the goodest landcruisers around' it says. Ha, hope the car is better than the spelling.

thanks for the links guys , the ebay one I had seen and the miles are a bit high and its a bit far from me to get too excited about, plus that spelling did worry me lol.

I have emailed him abou the piston heads one but its a little out of my budget and again miles are a bit high.

keep looking though, all ideas are welcome.

thanks

Hey Fett,

Don't buy on miles, buy on condition.

i would have no problems whatsoever buying a cuirser with 230k miles that had been looked after, with a stack of history and it would be a better purchase than a cruiser with 150k miles which had not been loved,

There aren't a lot of wear items on the vehicles that are mileage dependant- the drivetrain will do at least a hald million miles with little fettling, although the seals will need replacving- but these are an age thing not a mileage thing. CV's do go, but that's going to happen at some point anyway, bushes again are mostly age related (the rubber is going to get old and crack after 20 years).

I would buy the first one that has had lots of TLC and doesn't have much rust, and i wouldn't worry about the mileage.

You are buying a vehicle that is getting on to be 20 years old- they ALL need TLC, not matter the mileage, so get one which has had the TLC done already.

pugwash said:
Hey Fett,

Don't buy on miles, buy on condition.

i would have no problems whatsoever buying a cuirser with 230k miles that had been looked after, with a stack of history and it would be a better purchase than a cruiser with 150k miles which had not been loved,

There aren't a lot of wear items on the vehicles that are mileage dependant- the drivetrain will do at least a hald million miles with little fettling, although the seals will need replacving- but these are an age thing not a mileage thing. CV's do go, but that's going to happen at some point anyway, bushes again are mostly age related (the rubber is going to get old and crack after 20 years).

I would buy the first one that has had lots of TLC and doesn't have much rust, and i wouldn't worry about the mileage.

You are buying a vehicle that is getting on to be 20 years old- they ALL need TLC, not matter the mileage, so get one which has had the TLC done already.

thats exactly what I am looking for :)

Your mates one ready yet? :mrgreen:

Back