Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Power steering?

chapel303

Country Flag
uk
Alright guys, looking for some advice/diagnosing help.

I was driving along, heard what sounded like sucking air and some screeching. Pulled over had an inspection under the wagon and there’s oil/fluid pissing out from under the steering box. The power steering res is still holding steady on its level despite the pipe leaking (has been for an while) and the steering didn’t change at all. Fairly confused.

I’ve posted a few pictures, two from underneath and one from the side, if anyone can help steer me (see what I did there) I’d appreciate it. I’m happy to try crack a DIY rebuild, but I just need to narrow down the problem before I start spending money on bits.

IMG_4668.jpeg
IMG_4676.png
IMG_4673.png

is that cracks in the first pic?

I can’t see any cracks. Pipe joints are tight. It looks like it’s coming from where that pipe joins on the second pic but I can’t be sure. I’ve degreased and had another look the next day at the power steering res, it’s now completely Winchester and there’s fresh fluid on the box and chassis so something is definitely gone in there. Classic case of if I pull it apart and can’t fix it I’m beached at home, if I just take it somewhere (leaning that way) they can at least diagnose and fix.

Last edited:
Alright I’m done, after hours of heating, prying, hammering and two cans of WD40. Took 3 of us and we all admitted defeat.

Anyone able to sell me a reconditioned box that will arrive before this weekend? Also… steering shaft is seized onto the box, both sides of the UJ are impossible to get undone. May need the shaft from the interior UJ in the drivers footwell to the box if I can’t get it off tomorrow on the reattack. Pitman arm won’t come off either so I’ll also need one of those haha, I have tinnitus and carpal tunnel syndrome from smashing it to hell and back and using every removal tool and blow torch I own.

Any help would be great.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I’ll give it one more shot with this stuff. If I can get it off I’ll crack the rebuild, throw the chicken bones and pray to the Toyota gods that all my prying and hammering hasn’t done any other damage.

Took mine off in November (with my mechanic in the background for guidance) , other than removing the pitman arm nothing seemed welded together. Maybe it was the copious amounts of fluid leaking out that lubed it all up. Still have a dribble from the top somewhere, either from the pipes or the copper washers but it no longer marks it's territory :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Took mine off in November (with my mechanic in the background for guidance) , other than removing the pitman arm nothing seemed welded together. Maybe it was the copious amounts of fluid leaking out that lined it all up. Still have a dribble from the top somewhere, either from the pipes or the copper washers but it no longer marks it's territory :)

Good luck!
I’ve had to undo the steering shaft from inside the wagon and feed it out with the box. Can’t get it off for anything. I’ve dropped it off at a mechanic. Defeat is real.

I'd undone everything else and when I undid that joint it all fell on the floor... Oops

So after all of that the sector shaft adjuster screw copped some damage, not sure when or how, either way it was me or the garage that removed the pitman arm but the side cover assembly piece won’t go back on due to the thread being mangled. I can use a tap and tie set but I’m not sure if I want to start modifying and repairing steering bits.

So my question is, has anyone ever removed or replaced the sector shaft adjuster screw on their sector shaft? I’ve got the part number from amayama, just need to figure out how to get it off and a new one on.
IMG_4776.jpeg

I learned only recently while terrified of destroying a 2 grand boat propeller shaft that you can buy a thread repair die , heart was in my mouth going at it while having to race the tide but wow just wow , it went on like a nut onto rusty thread (though its high grade marine stainless) but after the brand new nut span on with absolute precision .

Note these won't cut a thread in bar you will break the die trying .

Last edited:
Ye so I’ve got a tap and die kit on route at ridiculous cost (all up im at what a replacement box would have cost!) just to get the right thread pitch for these ridiculous Toyota threads. I’ll see when it arrives today, if I don’t get that right I’ll just go for the replacement screw and side cover assembly from amayama and figure out how to replace the screw. Failing that, Gary and Nayab both have second hand boxes available but I don’t want to be in the same position again in the near future rebuilding another box.

It’s actually been a mega simple job, just corrosion and seized parts due to age have made it a nause.

I learned only recently while terrified of destroying a 2 grand boat propeller shaft that you can buy a thread repair die , heart was in my mouth going at it while having to race the tide but wow just wow , it went on like a nut onto rusty thread (though its high grade marine stainless) but after the brand new nut span on with absolute precision .

Note these won't cut a thread in bar you will break the die trying .
Worked a treat. Was a bit janky but a few rotations and it was like new. Did the screw, the nut and the internal thread in the side assembly to be safe.

But it doesn’t end there. The power piston plunger guide nut (notorious for needing to be replaced on a rebuild) has peeled in. Local Toyota shop is getting me one by next week then finally it will be done. Wish I’d ordered one earlier so if anyone cracks this, just buy one to add to your kit. 44154-30020 power piston plunger guide nut.

Steering box rebuilt. A few snags on the way but all sorted. Will get it back on the truck after I’m done with the rad, water pump and belts.

IMG_4874.jpeg
IMG_4790.jpeg

Back