Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series 12v Starter recomendations? (for a 24-12v convesrion)

DandyLandy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
I've been reading some of the 12v starter threads on here but can't seem to find where I can purchase the correct 12v starter motor. Does anyone have any recomendations for the UK?
Is it best to get a standard one to fit a 100 series or does anyone know if it's worth looking at something from Terrain Tamer or anything like that?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

The 100 series isn't the one to use, for what reason I'm not sure.
I don't know if all 80 series all over the world are 24V start, I wouldn't imagine they are in warmer climes.

Hi Andy,

@Dave2000 has done this conversion and has threads on it, what you'll need, how to do it, etc..
His conversion has worked , reliably, for years.
Be patient, he'll be along soon!

Regards,

Rodger

Removes the need for 2 batteries. Also creates a handy space for a leisure battery.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I run my 12 volt setup with 2 original batteries in situ. I only use 1 at a time by disconnecting the other. I alternate them to keep them charged. I therefore have a spare in situ if one fails.

Hi Andy,

@Dave2000 has done this conversion and has threads on it, what you'll need, how to do it, etc..
His conversion has worked , reliably, for years.
Be patient, he'll be along soon!

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks Rodger, waiting patiently.Removes the need for 2 batteries. Also creates a handy space for a leisure battery.
Agreed.
I run my 12 volt setup with 2 original batteries in situ. I only use 1 at a time by disconnecting the other. I alternate them to keep them charged. I therefore have a spare in situ if one fails.

Hi frank, I'm doing a similar thing but replacing one with a self heating litium battery to run fridge and accessorries

Dave did indeed convert to 12v starter from a 100 series but it is not a straight swap as there are a different number of teeth on the cog which needs sorting. The starter I linked above is a straight swap. It is the one that I and many others have used to convert from 24 to 12v start.

This is a great guide for the conversion process 12 volt starting conversion on a 1997 24 valve manual 80 series LandCruiser - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Before you spend any money I’d suggest taking a look at this How to start a 24v HDJ81 with 12v video - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club] It seems it may be possible to simply retain the 24v starter…… If I hadn’t already done the conversion I would have tried this first and if it worked, simply converted wiring for 12v feed.

Back