Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Factory Ice Maker/Fridge

Good point.

Thats someting I forgot to ask Zach,

Are we talking about a R12 or an R134a system? I never thought to ask as it's been a long time since R12 has been in use, of course the 80 had a couple of years when it would have had R12 used in the A/C cooling system, as in most of the world production ran from 1990-1997, R12 was completely banned from production by 1996 under the Montreal Protocol for depleting the ozone. Most car manufacturers stopped using R12 in around about 1992 well before the total ban came into force.

I will admit, when I say I have been in HVAC-R for 40 years, that has been in commercial Air-Conditioning not Auto Air-Con, but the principles are the same when it comes to using a compressor in a refrigeration system, so everything I have stated in previous posts still stands, apart from the the type of refrigerant and oil used.

The process for using/updating a car cooling system with regard to refrigeration A/C from R12 to R134a is not an easy process as ther are many rubber parts in a car system that have to be changed, and the oils are not compatible as used in a R12 and R134a system, there are what is called in the trade 'Drop in' refrigerants but they are expensive, so the limiting factors are time/labour and gas costs.

So, to answer you question, no it's not just a matter of 'evacuating' a system that has been used with R12 and then recharging with the more mordern R134a.

Yes, you are right in saying the connection are different for the guage line to fit to from R12 to R134a, but the connections can be retro fitted.

I would also like to add, R134a is not the most 'up to date' Refrigerant used in cars A/C cooling, R1234yf has been in use since 2011. So there will be a cross over point in the 200 series range up for debate at some time in the future. :laughing-rolling:

Hope all my ramblings make a little sense.
Yes, very little ! In all seriousness though a good post, which has educated me, if not others, who MAY have already known. Thanks.

when it comes to using a compressor in a refrigeration system
I said the above, as there are other ways of 'cooling' with out compression, for example, the Romans had A/C, yes thats right, the Romans, it was called, 'cooling by evaporation'.

Hi Chris,

If your referring to the fridge, you can see the fridge pipes in picture 2 & 3 so I would say it only works when the engine is running.

I think the rear A/C, as in the last picture, I'm not 100% sure about, but if I had to bet I'd say it's part of the refrigerant system, it looks very similar to the 100 series rear cooling system set up, apart from the 100's rear cooling was designed with the car, the one in this 80 looks like it was either a Toyota after thought or a aftermarket add on.

Sorry, been mostly mia since we had our first little baby (a girl) a few weeks ago. The fridge and rear AC are definitely factory options, now that I own one with it I always take notice of others and there a quite a few here in Costa Rica with the same rear AC system. The coolant lines run across the bottom of the vehicle and split off as they pass the center console then continue along the right side until turning up to go to the rear system to the condenser. All systems run off of the one compressor under the hood, so yeah, it needs the engine on.

Good point.

Thats someting I forgot to ask Zach,

Are we talking about a R12 or an R134a system? I never thought to ask as it's been a long time since R12 has been in use, of course the 80 had a couple of years when it would have had R12 used in the A/C cooling system, as in most of the world production ran from 1990-1997, R12 was completely banned from production by 1996 under the Montreal Protocol for depleting the ozone. Most car manufacturers stopped using R12 in around about 1992 well before the total ban came into force.

I will admit, when I say I have been in HVAC-R for 40 years, that has been in commercial Air-Conditioning not Auto Air-Con, but the principles are the same when it comes to using a compressor in a refrigeration system, so everything I have stated in previous posts still stands, apart from the the type of refrigerant and oil used.

The process for using/updating a car cooling system with regard to refrigeration A/C from R12 to R134a is not an easy process as ther are many rubber parts in a car system that have to be changed, and the oils are not compatible as used in a R12 and R134a system, there are what is called in the trade 'Drop in' refrigerants but they are expensive, so the limiting factors are time/labour and gas costs.

So, to answer you question, no it's not just a matter of 'evacuating' a system that has been used with R12 and then recharging with the more mordern R134a.

Yes, you are right in saying the connection are different for the guage line to fit to from R12 to R134a, but the connections can be retro fitted.

I would also like to add, R134a is not the most 'up to date' Refrigerant used in cars A/C cooling, R1234yf has been in use since 2011. So there will be a cross over point in the 200 series range up for debate at some time in the future. :laughing-rolling:

Hope all my ramblings make a little sense.

Hey thanks for all the info again! I know the AC compressor was replaced right before I purchased so i guess someone was able to recharge the system. This is a 97, so it's probably R134a? This is all great info to take to the AC guy! thanks!

Sorry, been mostly mia since we had our first little baby (a girl) a few weeks ago. The fridge and rear AC are definitely factory options, now that I own one with it I always take notice of others and there a quite a few here in Costa Rica with the same rear AC system. The coolant lines run across the bottom of the vehicle and split off as they pass the center console then continue along the right side until turning up to go to the rear system to the condenser. All systems run off of the one compressor under the hood, so yeah, it needs the engine on.
Congratulations, less time to spend on the cruiser now !

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Never mind the A/C. Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl, hope Mum & Baby are well, whats baby's name? :thumbup:

Well Done.

Hey thanks for all the info again! I know the AC compressor was replaced right before I purchased so i guess someone was able to recharge the system. This is a 97, so it's probably R134a? This is all great info to take to the AC guy! thanks!
If it'a a 1997 then it's defo 134a.

Good Luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 27
Back