Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Inner Axle Seal Offset Driver

Lorin

Has anyone got one that I could possibly borrow?

Twice I’ve replaced my inner axle seals and twice they’ve leaked within a few months. Definitely a possibility I’m damaging them when installing either them or the axle but I’ve not previously had any issues. I therefore think the axles may be grooved.

Be good to use a proper tool for the install and fit them a little deeper.

I’d be very happy to pay for the privilege and cover all shipping costs etc. £60+ to buy one from the US to use once is too much to stomach at the moment.

Same situation i'd just let a garage do it . Tell them you did it already but don't have the right tool and they get shy about overcharging .

Indeed I'm reasonably sure the garage i use would lend me their tool rather than work on a 20+ year old truck when they have a waiting list for easy stuff .

Hello Lorin,

I have a set like this you can borrow:

For seals you can mount the end backwards so the flat face is against the seal. Not sure what size you need though but I can check if there is a suitable one?

I think terrain tamer are making new seals that rotate and seal against themselves which are supposed to seal against worn or grooved shafts. These may be worth checking out.

Cheers ben

Thanks for the suggestions and offers. Unfortunately it is specifically the offset driver from Wits End I was hoping someone would have. I’ve got standard seal drivers. It’s just bloody tricky trying to get the seal a precise amount ‘too far’ in using normal drivers.
I think terrain tamer are making new seals that rotate and seal against themselves which are supposed to seal against worn or grooved shafts. These may be worth checking out.

Cheers ben

These are spindle seals not axle seals. Potentially good idea though.

These are spindle seals not axle seals. Potentially good idea though.
Yes the video was Lorin, but they mentioned rear axle seals too.
Sorry I didn’t know what an offset driver was. Will have to investigate now

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TBH i wouldnt piss about trying to side step the issue. fit SKF ezi sleeves and be done.

wits end make some great stuff, there seal driver looks great and ill probable get one. i might be wrong but i cant see a 2mm off set making much of a difference on a badly scored half shaft. i would think the seal lip would find its way back into the groove over time.

I haven't done the job so I'm not sure if its relevant but investigating something similar recently Yanmar recommends loctite 603

Hi Lorin,
It's the wits end one i was thinking of amongst some other bit's from them. If you wanna drop me a PM maybe we can sort something out.
Failing that, have you considered gluing a perspex extension onto the end of one of your existing seal drivers ? You'd need to calculate the required depth of course but its easy to fashion and wouldn't damage the seal. Wits end say they overdrive by 2mm

Last edited:
Seen something recently on Big Tyre Garage where he used some type of silicone sealer before refitting the seal so that it fits into the uneven surfaces and creates a better fit

LOCTITE® 603 is designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts, particularly where consistently clean surfaces cannot be assured. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage from shock and vibration.

Last edited:

Has anyone tried these new seals? It's important to take the weight of the shaft off the seal when sliding the shaft back in.

Check there is no damage where the seal seats, sometimes upon removal if a screwdriver was used in the past it can cause damage.
I've done a few and now only use genuine seals as found aftermarket seals always leak no matter how careful you fit them.

A useful thread because i know now to have genuine seals , loctite 603 and speedi sleeves ready when it comes time to tackle this job myself .

Neither Marlin nor TrailGear seals are rated that highly on Mud. There are countless threads of people trying them and returning to genuine Toyota. General consensus appears to be that genuine seals are the best
I have a pair of the Marlin seals on the shelf ready for a front axle overhaul, it will be interesting to see if they work being installed by a mechanic.

Regards

Dave

Back