Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series not running

I see the Toyota security system electric control system under the dash. It has options for on and off. None of the wires look bad or chewed up.

It says on it caution adjustment is required to prevent false alarms. It says refer to installation manual or 26p connector.

I can smell gas fumes when I take off the air filter. I have been trying to start it a lot.

If you have fuel fumes then the primary ignition seems to be working as the EFI is activating the fuel pump, start looking at the ignition leads/distributor ect.

Regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just to confirm and be absolutely sure it is not the EFI relay. I would not have a check engine light on the dash correct if it was the EFI relay? Is anyone absolutely sure of this.

The EFI light comes on as a pre check if you like before cranking IIRC? Then once the engine is attempting to start (cranking) or has started, it will either go out or stay on.

Regards

Dave

Ok so a lot of message boards say if the CEL light comes on when putting the key and turning that it is not the EFI main relay. If the EFI relay is bad the cel light wouldn’t come on at all when attempting to start. Is this true or false?

Ok so a lot of message boards say if the CEL light comes on when putting the key and turning that it is not the EFI main relay. If the EFI relay is bad the cel light wouldn’t come on at all when attempting to start. Is this true or false?
That is what I said...right, just put a different way. The CEL light is wired into, ignition system, cats, misfires and so forth. The CEL will come on if the EFI relay was taken out and thrown in the dustbin! It is a system check device, if there is a fault code stored then it will light up and stay on if the enigne is running, get the code read.

Did you check the ignitor bracket as per an earlier post from @Jon_Tallis ?

Regards

Dave

The ground is fine. It’s an ODB2 vehicle I have scanned with a 100 dollar matco scanner and 7000 dollar autel scanner. It’s does not throw codes. Supposedly the only scanner that would work properly is an older snap on.

If you take out the EFI main relay the CEL light will not show when trying to start the vehicle.

When you took out the EFI relay yesterday and the light did not come on did you notice any corrosion on the terminals? There may be corrosion on the terminals? Also just to get this right, are you saying the CEL is on when you took out the EFI relay, maybe I have that wrong but I would have sworn the light stayed on, perhpas the US models are wired differently? I would say go through the seondary ignition and look for sparks from the plug back to the distributor to the ignitor pack.

And as the gasoline model are waaay more prevalent in the US perhaps go through the forums over there. In the UK the ratio is probably 10/2 in favor of diesels?

Regards

Dave

Back