Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 Series Product Development

BRE Fabrications LTD

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hey Guys,

As some of you will know I took over a metal fabrication a couple of years ago and have been threatening to start producing accessories for Landcruiser's. Covid, Business, Race car build, beautiful baby girl and all that has held up any progression on this front. I have once race left, next weekend in Dorset, and then I'll be taking a break from the race car to focus on this.

When I initially posted about the metal fab business, I had an amazing response from quite a few members with suggestions for products. I now have the time and resources available to focus on this and have invested in a 3d scanner to aid the process.

The first product I am working on, purely because I have wanted one for myself for ages, is a roof rack. I've scanned the roof of my 80 and this is a glimpse of where the design stands so far. It's a low-profile rack, sits approx 25mm above the highest point of the roof line and is very much based on the Prinsu Rack from the US. I think the modular bolt together design is a great idea. Construction would be from 6mm aluminum with 20x40 extruded aluminum cross bars.

What are your guys thoughts? Any suggestions, comments, critique?

Rack Rev 2 v4.png

Then I'd like to get a poll going of what next to work on. I'll include the suggestions I originally received from members on here. Please let me know any other items you guys would be interested in.

Cheers

Well done Ryan.
Although I dont have an 80, that looks fantastic !!
The low profile/built in wind deflector, and low weight spread evenly the entire length both sides, is a winner for me !

Hi Ryan,

Good to have you back looking at parts for the 80.

I would definitely be interested in a rack of this design. I suspect you already know of them but I’d suggest looking at the Bowfin design next to the Prinsu 80 Series Roof Rack - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Both are very similar but I think the Bowfin has a number of design features that make it a better rack than the Prinsu.
1. The gutter latches are a much better design.
2. The front design with a lack of a cut-out eliminates a potential snag point.
3. Having all the crossbars except the very front and rear mount in a channel that allows you to alter the distance between them (some of the Prinsu middle bars have a fixed mounting position).
4. Bowfin has a mounting point for a roller bar at the rear.
5. I also think the Bowfin simply looks cleaner without so many bolts everywhere.

It would also be great is some thought could be given to the forces a freestanding 270 awning can generate at the rearmost part of the rack. Something like an AluCab or Ostrich Wing needs a very strong mount as when windy there is significant leverage. Maybe offer an additional crossbar for where the roller bar would attach on the Bowfin…?

Would you offer the option of the wind deflector having a cut-out to accommodate a light bar…?

Last edited:
@Lorin Cheers dude and thanks for the suggestion to look at the Bowfin Rack, hadn't seen that before.

I'd definitely off an option for a cutout deflector to accommodate a LED light bar and would very much want to incorporate an option for an awning mount which I have a few ideas on but would need to get my hands on one to fully work it out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not that I need a roof rack right now, just happy to see more great products being designed and made over here. I am often so envious of the after market for parts in the states.... look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Back