Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

80 series swimming pool

Red Oktober said:
... there is a damp patch on the roof lining
I remember having a damp patch on the rear seat of my first 80, . . . . . . . but that wasn't the roof leaking ;)

Cossack said:
Red Oktober said:
I remember having a damp patch on the rear seat of my first 80, . . . . . . . but that wasn't the roof leaking ;)
Go on Chas,

Tell us what it was ?

Gra :lol:

Graham said:
Cossack said:
Red Oktober said:
Go on Chas, Tell us what it was ? Gra :lol:
Sorry Graham, a gentleman doesn't talk about things like that, you'll have to use your imagination. :)

Towpack said:
Well, WYFKI! Backed the LC of the drive yesterday and got drenched in water from the sunroof. NEVER EVER done this before. Had a quick look in between cloudbursts and can't see anything obvious. It's as if the water is overflowing from the roof's drainage chanel on the driver's side 'cos it spills onto the internal sliding sunblind. The drive is quite steep and I park facing uphill. If I park facing downhill, no leak so I'm thinking (hoping) it's just a bit of crap blocking the rear drain. The front drain is fine and drains freely from the bottom of the sill.

As I suspected, a blocked rear drain tube on the driver's side. Soon fixed with a wire probe and an air line, just a bit awkward to get to. :D

Are these the ones that dump into the rear wheel arch?

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, they're the ones. The drain pipe attatches to the rear corner of the sunroof trough (one each side), disappears into the body cavity and re-appears just behind the rear mudflap. Parked facing uphill and with one drain blocked the driver's side of the trough was filling up until high enough to drain via the passenger side drain pipe. As soon as I backed off the drive and the car levelled out the water trapped in the trough surged forward and overwelmed the lip at the front showering the driver.

I should add that there's a small plastic cover to remove ( one phillips screw iirc ) before you can see the drive gear for the sunroof which is where water gets in

Can we have some pictures of your 80 series swimming pool? I also heart this problem in another ride. Hope now you have enough solutions...

Sorry Andrew, but if you check the date of this thread it's 2 years old. I don't have any pics I don't think. I got it sorted. It just needed re sealing. But it's tricky to get the sealant where it's needed with a roof rack on.

Excellent info joinerman, I been stuck with that plm for ages ie 2 yrs!! And had the windscreen replaced with new seal, it was only in this crazy weather the problem returned and now have sealed up that slot, removed the plastic piece sealed it and underside... now waiting for next downpour to test it!! Cheers

You won't have to wait long

Sealed those holes like joiner an said... Instead of going down the pillar, it's coming on my head when car has been standing... See pics, green from the pool formation and the wetness staining plastic on the underside of the sunroof... It's the sunroof front edge seal in that corner being worn allowing water to run round the underside of the sunroof and collect in the corner.. This time on the inside of the sealing, hence getting splashed when I move the car... Need to use speaker wire or summat to boost sealing and raise the front edge abit on washers to level out with the roof..
any pointers for that bit how to raise the front edge bit. Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 95
As a temporary fix you could gaffa tape it up till you have a better opertunity / better weather to sort it out

Sealed those holes like joiner an said... Instead of going down the pillar, it's coming on my head when car has been standing... See pics, green from the pool formation and the wetness staining plastic on the underside of the sunroof... It's the sunroof front edge seal in that corner being worn allowing water to run round the underside of the sunroof and collect in the corner.. This time on the inside of the sealing, hence getting splashed when I move the car... Need to use speaker wire or summat to boost sealing and raise the front edge abit on washers to level out with the roof..
any pointers for that bit how to raise the front edge bit. Cheers

See my post above regarding a similar problem I had. The outer seal around the glass roof is not meant to be water tight. I'd call it more of a dust/debris seal. Any water getting past this 'seal' runs into the drainage channel and out through the drain hoses at each corner. If these hoses become blocked, as was the case on mine, the channel will overflow into the car.

Exactly right. The roof does not seal. Two key issues - the tubes block up, or the vent at the bottom end, or the really crappily designed seal on the runner starts to leak. It's a real bodge from Mr T. Fine for 15 years or so, but once it's gone..

You could use a who tube of mastic and not seal it. But one tablespoon full in just the right place will. Number one requirement, nice dry warm weather. Take off the plastic cover, remove all of the old sealant and replace.

This is the next stage of finding my leaks .......

passenger side windscreen corner ....
10004044_366621160143736_256178775_n.jpg

drivers side ....
1981983_366620890143763_648782183_n.jpg

as you can see mine has been leaking for a while .....
1970528_366621080143744_571840215_n.jpg

here is what my 80 currently looks like .. (steering wheel is also out)
1621896_366621140143738_1307157795_n.jpg

Looking like a very familiar sight!!

At least I know mines not leaking, no rust!!

Had to rip it all to replace a stupid £10 sleeved cable that runs from the heater actuator to the heater control tap. Just couldn't get it off without the whole dash out.

Still the lucky thing is it only takes 20 min to put it all back together again :laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Yeah right!!!

Back