Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

90,000 Mile service - looking for manual, car came back with problems

Guernsy

Hi
I have a 2004 Land Cruiser and never had a problem with it. My daughter is about to go to college and she is supposed to take this car with her. We just send the car to Toyota for its 90000 mile service to make sure that everything is in working order for her. We don't want her to have any problems.
Besides the regular oil change, we were advised that we had we needed to replace a few things, including one tire, air filter, etc, total cost $3200. Car was ready for pick up. My daughter goes to the dealership to pick up the car. After driving it back to the house (I was out of town) she calls me telling me that there was a clonking noise in the car. I told her to take the car straight back to the dealer.
Dealer tells her (my daughter is 17) that there is nothing wrong with the car and sends her away again. She drives back home and gets stranded, car dies before she makes it home.
Calls AAA, she had to wait 4 hours for them to show up and tow her back to the Toyota dealership. Now they are saying that the hose and clamp to the accelerator gave in and it would be another $500 to fix. On top of that, there was oil all over the engine.

Here are my questions: What do they check for in a 90000 mile maintenance check up? They did drive the car to test it, because they used up a 1/4 tank of fuel, why did they not realize that there was something wrong with the accelerator? There was oil all over the engine area. I have the feeling they messed up and are trying to cover it up. My daughter was stranded for 4 hours and horrified, exactly what I was trying to avoid. I tried talking to service manager - he won't budge, telling me that this is just another problem with my car (which never had problems).
I don't think I would have had a problem, if they had told my that this hose/clamp was a problem while they where checking out the car. I would have had no problem paying them for replacement.
However, this way, I have the feeling they caused the problem, or overlooked it and caused my daughter a big deal of hardship and they should fix it on their cost.

Please advice - I would appreciate it - sorry for the long story.
Julia

Hi Julia,

Where are you?

Perhaps a short introduction in the welcoming section?

Gra.

Back