Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A few local lanes today............

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
.............105 mile round trip today doing a few local lanes :D Out of interest Fiery averaged 18.5mpg for the days lanning :)

Had alot of fun :) Alot of 'V' deep ruts :!: Some winching & some towing, even a bit of shoveling :D

Pics;

P1070223.jpg

P1070224.jpg

P1070225.jpg

P1070226.jpg

P1070227.jpg

P1070230.jpg

P1070231.jpg

P1070233.jpg

P1070234.jpg

P1070236.jpg

P1070238.jpg

P1070239.jpg

Tommo&Claire said:
Those narrower taller muddies work pretty well don't they.
Oh yes :D I'm very pleased with them :thumbup: In the third from last photo you can see that I've manged to climb out of a very soft rut that was more than half the depth of the wheel :cool: Awsome performance :cool:

Steve, are those actually 'lanes'? Some of them just look like fields. Never quite understood all this ancient right of way stuff, but anyway, those tyres do seem to be doing very well.

Couple those to a front locker as well TonyP eh?

Chris

Looks more like mud than lanes :twisted: but fun all the same

Chris said:

Chris
Defo be going to the taller narrow tyres next time round Chris. Front diff I hear you say... what's that, can't see the switch anymore seeing as I have taped over it :lol:

sae70 said:
Had alot of fun Alot of 'V' deep ruts Some winching & some towing, even a bit of shoveling
You weren't trying hard enough Steve; your snorkel is nowhere near the water line!!! :lol:

Man that looks gloopy mud :cool:

Cheers

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Steve, are those actually 'lanes'? Some of them just look like fields. Never quite understood all this ancient right of way stuff
Definitely all lanes, well BYWAYS as shown on OS maps with a little pink cross or dots :) We use a combination of FUGAWI linked to a Garmin GPS & paper 1:50,000 scale OS maps to be certain that we are on the correct lane & if in a new area as we were there I tend to always give the local authority a call (mostly much to their surprise) to let them know of our intensions & ask if there are any rights of way closures that we should be aware of :thumbup:

The last few photos are of us on a lane that does just go along the top of a farmers field with crop in & due to the nature of the conditions on the part of the field that you would call the lane you can see that a number of vehicles prior to us have chosen the easier route of driving off of the lane across the top of the field, through the crop :( I guess if this was a serious problem to the farmer he could erect a small post & wire fence along the edge of the lane to deter people from venturing into his field when the going gets tough (as you can see in one or two of my other photos) but in this instance it is clear that it suits the farmer to be using the BYWAY as the head land to his field, so swings & roundabouts in this instance I think :) ;)

Yes, those narrow tyres must work very well - if the amount of mud thrown up is any indication; your LC is fairly spotless, only a few traces of mud on the "cladding", whereas the LRs are absolutely covered in it.

TonyP said:

Chris said:

Chris
Defo be going to the taller narrow tyres next time round Chris. Front diff I hear you say... what's that, can't see the switch anymore seeing as I have taped over it :lol:
:text-threadjacked:

Would you say that a front locker is of limited use in an IFS cruiser or do you just have to be careful of it's application (Tony!) ?????

Tommo&Claire said:
TonyP said:

Chris said:

Chris
:text-threadjacked:

Would you say that a front locker is of limited use in an IFS cruiser or do you just have to be careful of it's application (Tony!) ?????

No idea about use on a IFS cruiser.... the latter applies to me :violin:

Tommo&Claire said:
It's not the the fact it's IFS that would urge caution, it's if the CV's and shafts are strong enough. IFS usually allows for bigger and stronger shafts and CV's in the same space because they don't have to fit inside an axle casing. I don't know how a 90 compares with a 70 but a 100 has much stronger CV's and drive shafts than an 80 for example.

chadr said:
Yes, those narrow tyres must work very well - if the amount of mud thrown up is any indication; your LC is fairly spotless, only a few traces of mud on the "cladding", whereas the LRs are absolutely covered in it.

On a SWB try the Michelin XZL 7.5R16 O/R.
They look like ballerina shoes but go just about anywhere in that sticky type mud.
On road travel you need to be very aware in the rain.

The def is throwing mud everywhere because he is driving road pressure which turns the tire into a slick.
This weekend we were in the north of france in the same conditions. 2.2 bar and the tyres glazed over, 1.5 bar and they were spitting mud nicely.

Back