Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

a few servicing questions

McLean Racing

Country Flag
uk
Ive decided on what im doing in terms of repairing my broken rear axle on my collie. Im going to fit a brand new axle case along with new poly bushes all round, and do a full service, etc etc.

Question is, what diff oil do i need in my back axle?, its got the lockable diff and ABS.

And would this be the same oil needed for the transfere box and the manual gearbox?

And also what quantities would i need for each?

And the last question for now, im presuming the axle case swap should be fairly straight forward, but is there anything in particular that id need to look out for while doing it?

Sorry for all the questions, as a rule i dont normally do major work on cars because id rather work on motorbikes instead but moneys tight and the parts are costing me enough as it is so i best tackle this myself

Cheers
John

On the manual gearbox models you can use the same oil in the front & rear axles, gearbox and transfer box. A decent 80W90 EP oil of GL5 spec will be fine.

Capacities are:
Gearbox = 2.2 litres
Transfer = 1.2 litres
Front diff = ?? doesn't get a mention in the Max Ellery manual but I think its around 1.2 litres.
Rear diff = 2.8 litres (keep it just under the level plug hole).

Problems with swapping parts from your old axle casing to the new are likely to be:

Getting the ABS Sensors out without damaging them - care and patience works for me.

Once the half shafts have been removed you may find that the studs holding the diff and rear locker are seized. Again, patience is needed. I used a lot of heat and penetrating oil over a two-day period and eventually got them all out undamaged.

Be careful of the sliding diff lock pinion - its located by the half shaft and diff lock fork and may drop out when everything is apart.

Let us see some pictures of the swap :icon-wink:.

(What are the bikes - I guess some racing machines ?? I have a couple of BMW 'GS' and three old British 'Classics', two undergoing restoration :whistle:).

Bob.

Many thanks for that info, ill be sure to try and get some pics as im doing it. If i get pissed off with rusted bolts ill just grind em all off and replace with new, but ive got time, need to make sure its done right as i got 2 young kids in the car and towing a pretty heavy trailer, hence deciding to use new parts instead of 2nd hand.

The 2 bikes are drag bikes, mine is a Nitrous Suzuki GSXR1100 and my dads one that im building is based on a Suzuki GSX1400, but will also be nitrous and a massively overbored, ive attached a few pics, the 1400 is still in its early stages

Attachments

• 2015-12-28 14.17.47.jpg
    2015-12-28 14.17.47.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 202
  • 2015-12-28 14.17.59.jpg
    2015-12-28 14.17.59.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 206
  • received_10153307959088803.jpeg
    received_10153307959088803.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 132
The 2 bikes are drag bikes, mine is a Nitrous Suzuki GSXR1100 and my dads one that im building is based on a Suzuki GSX1400, but will also be nitrous and a massively overbored

Oh WOW . . . Letting that rip on a wet track must concentrate the mind. Is that at "Santa Pod" ??

What sort of BHP are we talking about with NOS ??

What's your best quarter mile time ??

Bob.

Yeh thats at Santa Pod. My local track. My best to date is 8.34 @ 165mph and 8.40 @ 170mph with around 220bhp, ive now got approx 300+bhp for this year. The new bike should make 300bhp motor only plus up to another 350bhp of nitrous on top......... should be interesting lol

Just another quick question. I went up Parkers Car parts today to price up the gearbox and diff oil and they said 75w90 was the correct oil according to their system. Not 80w90?

Is it 80w90 for the diffs and 75w90 for the manual gearbox? Slightly confused lol

Just another quick question. I went up Parkers Car parts today to price up the gearbox and diff oil and they said 75w90 was the correct oil according to their system. Not 80w90?

Is it 80w90 for the diffs and 75w90 for the manual gearbox? Slightly confused lol

OK, I have slightly mis-led you.

The book says SAE 75W90 GL-4 or GL-5 for the gearbox and Transfer Box.

Axles take:

SAE90 GL-5 if temp is 18 deg C and above.
SAE 80 or SAE 80W90 if temp is below 18 deg C.

However,

As I tow heavy trailers and the truck has around 130,000 miles on it I use Comma SAE 80W90 GL-5 in everything and haven't had any problems. It doesn't get very warm in Scotland, even in Summer.

I guess it depends on your mileage, the ambient temp and what you're doing with it.

Apologies.

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers guys. Yes truck has 174,000 miles on it. How would i tell if its got a LSD or not? Its got the diff locker in the rear if that makes any difference.

After reading the blog and what yourve said Bob. Looks like ill use 80w90 in the front and rear diffs and 75w90 in the gearbox and transfer box

With a diff lock it has a diff lock not LSD.

Back