Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

many questions, please

laszlo szucs

Country Flag
great_britain
im not very loyal forum guy. sorry. i wish i have more time.... also, hard to do search in this forum (might be my fault?)

1./ my Automatic gear stick moves (front to back) in all gear, standing or travelling

2./ dashboard (left side) makes annoying noise. if i press dash its okay. a bolt loose?

3./ rear door make noise

4./ im on a hunt for AT tyres. i watched 100x vids on YouTube, still not sure. fuel saving is important, and towing heavy trailer (3ply?) i really want narrower tyres. a bit. my tyre size is 265/7016
my trailer 7.5/16 michelin
i wish i can get both trailer & vehicle same tyres. (narrower but not smaller in diameter)

5./ having a switch on my battery and cut negative all the time (while parking 2-3 days) isn't bad for car?

thanks!!

1. This is a common issue and is down to worn bushes in the shifter assembly. Any mechanic should be able to do this.

2. Normal for a car this old but you could find something to wedge in the gap or maybe try some silicone lubricant if it's a rubbing noise.

3. I think I've read on this forum this is down to the weather seal getting weak. That's probably the first thing to try. The rear door is heavy so hinges etc may be worn.

4. I have Bridgestone ATs and they are great, low noise on tarmac. Not tried them off road apart from fields.

5. I wouldn't bother. I've left mine for 4 weeks before and it started first time. If you are getting significant discharge of the battery after only 2 days then this needs to be investigated and fixed. There are some great YouTube videos on this that go through how to find the cause by elimination. These older cars draw almost nothing when parked.

Ref 4 - it depends what width your trailer wheels are - running something like 235/85r16s on both the car and trailer would be a close enough match and similar to your current 265/70r16s so as not to mess up gearing etc, but you'd need to check if they'd fit the trailer wheels okay. There are a few options for AT style tyres in this size, which is helpful.

thanks

worn bushes in the shifter assembly? okay. im gonna search for bushes. sounds like easy issue?

how to get new hinges?

i know a guy personally, told me he have a 1000 years old ford van (used to be ambulance vehicle) and original fuel pump never been replaced. he believes it is because of cutting battery off, always switching it off. so, i started to do the same. but i always wondering if i damage the car or not.

tyres i want not available or hard to get.
dunlop grandtrek at3gm 265/70r16

Yokohama Geolandar? for towing?​

im starting to give up search and go with recommendation, if any. 3ply tyre necessary for towing? tyres are for overlanding. not for unnecessary killing off-road.

thanks

I have not done the shifter bushes myself but I would attempt it - it's a job done entirely in the cabin, you don't need to go under the car.

New hinges might be hard but Amayama or Partsouq are both great places. Other than that if you have a 4wd scrapyard that might have some. You'd want to be sure this was the cause before replacing. I expect they are hard to replace and align on that heavy door.

I don't think you'd damage the car by disconnecting the battery. If it's petrol then I think there is some 'learning' of the engine saved in memory that is lost when disconnecting the battery, so it might not run perfectly initially after reconnection. Generally it 'relearns' after a few km.

Haven't used those tyres I'm afraid. I have seen plenty of 4wd tow rigs here with the Yokohamas.

Back