A list of things to service on your LC.

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Folks,

I want to create a list of things to do for a certain service on each LC.
A while ago I changed the oil on my 120 at 60k but was unsure about what else I should do. Fuel filter? Brakes? Diff oil levels? Change the oil every 5-6k miles but the oil filter every 10k miles. Stuff like that.

Soooo, I thought about having a thread per series with a list of what needs doing in a nice check-list fashion which can be printed off and taken outside with you. With some input from Ian Rubie on this, he pointed me to this http://www.toyota-tech.eu/MaintenanceSchedules.aspx
If you put your model it, it gives you what looks like the workshop version of the check list. While it's obviously useful, I am aiming at something a bit more DIY man friendly.
Another point is that there is a bill of materials for each model / service interval. This way you can call up your favorite spare parts person (shameless plug: Ian Rubie) or Opie Oiles who has a club discount and say I want x y and z please.

So I will have a start at the 120 Toyota list into a nice format and take it from there. Each topic is not really intended as a discussion but should you wish to add something, you can reply to the topic and I will add your reply into the main thread. This would keep it all nice and clean. Discussions of course are more than welcome on a separate topic.

Suggested format:
Land Cruiser 120
10000 miles:
  • Oil[/*:m:2mtogljy]
  • Brakes[/*:m:2mtogljy]
  • etc [/*:m:2mtogljy]

20000 miles:
  • Oil[/*:m:2mtogljy]
  • Brakes[/*:m:2mtogljy]
  • Wipers[/*:m:2mtogljy]

In the interests of overkill, It's unlikely anyone will be doing a 10k service themselves (Would they?) so maybe to start them off at 50k or something?

Comments please? :?

Ians link looks good, but where's the 80 :?: :evil:
Chas

Cossack said:
Chas

I have asked if there are any archived sheets but have been ignored so far :(

Ian

My little typo has been pointed out enough now - thank you :oops:
Not enough sleep... :?

Ian Rubie said:
Cossack said:
Chas

I have asked if there are any archived sheets but have been ignored so far :(

Ian

But if the list is not available, any service is a variation of a previous service (over simplified but...) so with input from all the 80 drivers, we could come up with a good list.

Heres one.

120 Series: Clean air filter and housing ;)

My 80 did it too :oops:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php

some manuals and general references etc....
Can't be a bad thing to have... :mrgreen:

I do my engine oil and filter (genuine) and some grease every 2.5k to 3k on the 80.... and all other oils, filters and grease every 10k to 15k or once every 6 months whichever comes first.. :D

TobyJug said:
http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php

some manuals and general references etc....
Can't be a bad thing to have... :mrgreen:

I do my engine oil and filter (genuine) and some grease every 2.5k to 3k on the 80.... and all other oils, filters and grease every 10k to 15k or once every 6 months whichever comes first.. :D

Some nice reading material there.

If you look further down the sheet, you will see the 'in between services' are against severe usage. Is that what you mean? i.e., oil change every 4.5k miles instead of the usual 9k.

Is the timing belt the main engine belt that drives the pulleys, air con etc etc?

Nuclear Chicken said:
If you look further down the sheet, you will see the 'in between services' are against severe usage. Is that what you mean? i.e., oil change every 4.5k miles instead of the usual 9k.

Is the timing belt the main engine belt that drives the pulleys, air con etc etc?

So you reckon that 1, 4.5, 9, 13.5 means "check / replace every 1000, 4500 etc"? I've had another look and it still confused me :oops:

The timing belt is different to the serpentine belt. The timing belt is under the black cover in front of the engine, it drives the cam shaft(s) You have to change it every 100k miles I believe. There's a light on the dash that lights up when it's time.
The serpentine belt is the visible one you can see that drives the aircon, water pump, alternators, steering pump etc.

So you reckon that 1, 4.5, 9, 13.5 means "check / replace every 1000, 4500 etc"? I've had another look and it still confused me

That's about it. It is confusing when so much infor is available for many servicing permutations. And it is around the 100k miles as you say. Just wasn't sure if there was a separate timing belt. Is it a tricky PITA to replace? Looks tight up front....

Back