Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

a lot of warning lights

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
All the warning lights are on all the time,when the ignition is on or the engine is running.
The only ones that go off are the handbrake and door ones.
Any advice lads?
Cheers

Yep, will be a voltage issue. Either alternator or cable as suggested

Hello Lorin,
Had to use the winch to snap an old dead tree today to get through a dirt road,went well but I jumped a bit when it separated!
How's things mate?

As the others have said, usually alternator related, mine lit up like a Xmas tree after being a bit over enthusiastic with the power washer under the bonnet, blew the alt out with the airline and flooded it with WD40 and all was well…. Just check for water ingress first

Give the plug on the back of the alternator a wiggle first. Its sometimes just a iffy connection

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Give the plug on the back of the alternator a wiggle first. Its sometimes just a iffy connection
And if that "cures" it then sort it out or you will melt the plug and burn the connections..... high resistance = heat

It's possible to take the plug apart and clean the contacts and squeeze them up a fraction. If a wiggle cures it a later proper clean is essential.

Both batteries read 12.6V this morning,started fine but then only read 12V. I'm charging the batteries overnight then I'll have a look at the alternator and connections. Last time it fixed itself so I couldn't find out what was wrong.
Smothered everything mentioned in WD40.
Tightened the nut on top of the alternator,it wasn't tight.

Last edited:
Hello Lorin,
Had to use the winch to snap an old dead tree today to get through a dirt road,went well but I jumped a bit when it separated!
How's things mate?
All good here thanks. Just got back from a 6 month tour of the Balkans. Hope you’re all good. I’m keen to come back to Portugal soon, be good to catch up and drive some trails.

Still no joy but I think it's cam belt time anyway,so it'll be in the local 4x4 garage soon for a good check over.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my 100 series, it turned out to be the wire running along the inner wing from the back of the alternator. The previous owner had snapped a fan belt and it had whipped the wire, it had been patched up and taped but water had got in and corroded the wire so it was only connected by 1 strand..

my mechanic told me it's cheaper now to buy a new alternator than getting it fixed.
any thoughts lads?

my mechanic told me it's cheaper now to buy a new alternator than getting it fixed.
any thoughts lads?
Depends if you go for a quality Denso one or some made in China copy....
With labour and parts you can indeed spend more than a Chinese one can be bought for repairing an OE one.... but if properly repaired the OE one will outlast the cheap copy .
It's often just the diode pack but if I'm having one repaired we change the bearings etc at the same time ..... I should add I'm lucky in I have a local genius who can tackle anything from the dynamo /generator on a Sherman Tank or off my 1943 Halftrack to the modern "smart" (that's a joke ) alternators.... or any starter motor ....

Based on my experience I’d definitely warn against a cheap replacement. I bought a new alternator from Roughtrax and it’s lasted less than 12 months. If you’re keeping the vehicle for a while I’d invest in a quality replacement or rebuild.

The problem is, how do you know you’re getting a quality rebuild or replacement, if you dont get it from the dealer.

The problem is, how do you know you’re getting a quality rebuild or replacement, if you dont get it from the dealer.
Toyota did do "service exchange" alternators years ago for 80's .... I got one and pretty sure it was a new one but at a fraction of the price .
My local repair guy also sells new and will supply cheap China or quality alternators and starters depending on customer requirement ....or price request .

Back