Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A stitch in time----

Roger Fairclough

The small rubber bellows cover on the axle end of the h/brake had started to break up and dirt and water were getting in. I took the cable off the motor and stripped off the damaged rubber. I suspended the cable in a vice by the lever end and started to dribble in Viscotene spray grease. As I dribbled the oil in I moved the inner cable up and down to pump the oil through. By the time the oil had penetrated right through, the original stiff cable was running freely. I will probably seal the axle end with a suitable rubber bung, held in place with a lightweight spring.

Roger

I use a similar technique on my motorbike cables....cut the corner of a plastic sandwich bag and poke the end of the cable in, elastic band to seal it, hang it up over night with your lube of choice in the bag.

I used to have a proper cable oiler

like this one.
cable oiler.jpg

But can't fine it anywhere, brilliant bit of kit, except we useda bike pump on the end and pumped oil through........saved all that time waiting for oil to drain down the cable.

I used to have a proper cable oiler

like this one.
View attachment 4840

But can't fine it anywhere, brilliant bit of kit, except we useda bike pump on the end and pumped oil through........saved all that time waiting for oil to drain down the cable.

Iv'e still got mine but a quick look confirmed that the cable wont fit.

Roger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back