Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A442F Electronic and Torque Converter

Tom Hardin

Country Flag
panama
Hi all, new guy here.

I am in Panama and have a 1997 with the 1HD-FT and an A442F trans. Vehicle has 375K Kilometers on it. Torque converter is shuddering hard from a stop when in the mountains and fluid gets hot.

I was quoted $1,800 for a torque converter and $1,500 (USD) for a rebuild. I am heading to the states and figured I would try to procure a rebuilt Torque converter for less. Can anybody tell me if the converter for an electronic version is different than the hydro versions?

TIA

I would take your converter to the USA and shop around with places that build/rebuild drag car converters, $1500usd seems too high a price, I was quoted $500 AUD a few years ago to have mine rebuilt and strengthened. Not sure if the hydro converter will work in it, but did hear you can use the petrol version A442F one

I would take your converter to the USA and shop around with places that build/rebuild drag car converters, $1500usd seems too high a price, I was quoted $500 AUD a few years ago to have mine rebuilt and strengthened. Not sure if the hydro converter will work in it, but did hear you can use the petrol version A442F one

Thanks for the response. Not a ton I can do about the $1,500 for the trans rebuild. I think that includes rebuild parts and all solenoids with shop removing & reinstalling. I just want to find a TQ Converter and bring it back with me to have them install, so I wont be able to bring mine to the USA.

I just want to find a replacement rebuilt by someone reputable and hand it over to the mechanic. I am considering having the motor freshened up a bit while it's down for service. Need to see pricing on that to determine if I want to do it myself. I have built a lot of stuff, but have no Diesel experience...

I misread your post, I was talking TQ price, I was quoted $500aud for the converter, $3000 for the A442F rebuild

Not necesarily the TC, actually, if the car moves, the TC is fine...escríbeme que igual soy de Panamá, del grupo de 80 de aquí, te ayudo, no te preocupes

Not necesarily the TC, actually, if the car moves, the TC is fine...escríbeme que igual soy de Panamá, del grupo de 80 de aquí, te ayudo, no te preocupes

I would respectfully disagree with this statement. The clutches in the Torque converter are worn and are shuddering when taking off. The Transmission itself, still shifts very well and holds a gear well.

I am going to have the transmission rebuilt anyway while it is out (375,000 kilometers on it). But I want to grab a good rebuilt Torque converter with some upgrades while in the USA. I just want to make sure I get the correct one. Unfortunately, I will not be removing it before I leave to take measurements.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A TC will take you back about 1500 or so, remember is a diesel engine...you could ordered back in PTY but by someone who knows well about auto trannies...

you could call or email this company in Australia, I have dealt with and spoken to him before and he is very helpful https://automatictransmission.com.au/custom-built-heavy-duty-torque-converters/

Ive had 2x valve bodies from these. First one killed my gearbox and the 2nd isnt right hence the trucks in for yet another gearbox re build. They were helpful at first though once I had the problem they pretty much sent me the 2nd faulty valve body after I sent the original back and pretended there was nothing wrong with it and washed their hands of me.

There are no clutches in a torque converter but I’ve read that vanes can break but I can’t remember any reports of that on here. The clutches or brakes in the gearbox that bypass the TC are only deployed to cut out the torque converter once the vehicle has reached sufficient speed and it’s been through all gears.
Have you tried changing the fluid? Does it smell burned?

Back