Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

A442F transmission temps

I would check the solenoid first ... Or at least replace it when in doubt before spending big money on a new converter.

Guys been a while working on fixing this issue. After talking with "bandsnbrakes" member here on a call he advised having an aftermarket radiator would most likely be the issue. Apparently by his trade of working on 80s & 100s series transmissions he recommended me use an additional cooler as the cooler in the radiator bottom section was either not working or inefficient.

So in light of this out an 13 row Toyota OEM front cooler and whilst running it into the existing radiator cooler.

Amazingly temps dropped to 50-55c on the return. A drop from 117c. Up to 85c driving up an mountain. So it appears even now the radiator cooler is not working in my humble opinion even it being pretty new.

In addiction bought a used uk spec cooper radiator and will at some point change mine over.

So happy to bring this to a close. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Whilst fixing this issue changed the throttle cable that was sticking pursuing another issue with the gearing. The vehicle wouldn’t bite on takeoff in Drive, 2nd and just about working on Low range. So whilst investigating was having to use the auto as a manual.

This issue brought up the overdrive light on the dash flashing on low speeds disappear on the highway.

So with advise from my mechanic and "bandsnbrakes" member to look into the valve body solenoids. Upon opening the pan up took all four off and tested them with 12v current to see if they work. All had issues and and cleaning blowing air were deemed shot!!

So with the grace of God my mechanic had a used a442f transmission in bits. Took the valve body and cleaned and tested his 4
solenoids. All good with 13.5v current so upon fitting was back on the road with a smile.

Somehow the vehicle seems to drive much better than before. Looking for a tune up alignment of the throttle cable better next week.

04E6D25F-B2B8-4711-A2D3-CE15C7E5DA44.jpeg 49181B43-C775-4192-90AE-44C6CD884E4A.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like you’ve brought the transmission up to ‘as-new’ performance and condition, like you have so far with the rest of your truck.

Nice one :thumbup:

Back