Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Aaarghgfurglumplgh thhhhhrrrrp - OK I'm losing the plot!!

Ecoman

Country Flag
scotland
OK its official, I'm starting to lose my sanity!! :crazy:

I trying to sort out insurance for my big beige beastie. Why oh why is it so hard??:angry-screaming:

I thought I would try:

Direct Line - computer says no as its an extremely modified vehicle! ???? eh???

Sky Insurance - Sorry but its too modified and your wife is too high risk. ... Well I know that but I'm still with her!!!!! badum tish!

Kris Knott - I'm going to have to add business insurance mileage to cover you for your voluntary 4x4 response. Oh and we cant cover you for driving up an upaved road (well I live up a farm track so where does that leave me?). Oh and I'm not sure if we can cover your modifications???? Still not heard back from them:thumbdown:

Only quotes are from Adrian Flux - £700!!!!!!:shock:

Lancaster - Agreed valuation, green laning and off roading cover, but NCB isn't protected and restricted to 10K and cant drive other vehicles TP only (this is actually an important must). - £341

I'm 42 years old, no claims or convictions.

My truck is an 80 series UK spec 4.2TD Auto VX. It has 3G brakes, 2" suspension lift kit, roof rack, snorkel, spotlights, rear ladder, side steps, A bar and soon to have a winch and winch bumper (asked to be included in the quote). Not like I have altered the bodywork or cassis or added performance parts or anything.

The hunt continues:icon-rolleyes:

Have you tried NorCounty they wouldn't insure me because my cruiser is not modified.

had similar issue with my Hilux
when getting speculative quotes for mods before i got it in november
in end, got insurance for factory standard condition, and when i do mod it i will search again
i now have 9yrs no claims attached to the policy, so will hopefully make life easier

Thanks Andyw I will give them a try:thumbup:

Andy C give Sue a ring at NFU Westhills, she has done me a really good deal with my Hilux insurance. Tell her Donkey gave you the number....its a long story:lol:

Last edited:
thanks but just after my last post they got back to me with a good quote which I will post up here momentarily.

I'm just going through the rigmarole of trying to find out how much my current insurer will charge me to cancel their policy :icon-rolleyes:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Business use is a common add on for using a vehicle for voluntary community work, as a Community First Responder I have had to insure mine with the same use, but this only added £7 to the policy cost. The not insuring newer vehicles with modifications is a new thing and I almost fell foul of it when I tried to swap my insurance from Fiery MY98 to Swampy MY02! The lady at NorCounty had to phone the underwriters to get conformation that they were happy to insure me with a newer modified vehicle. They are apparently honoring current policy holders, but not taking any new modified newer/new vehicle business on!

Yes that's the response I got too. They will happily insure 4x4s but not modified ones.

Well Milton (cool name) from Chris Knott's called me back and was extremely helpful. They have quoted me £310 which is an excellent price. OK they wont cover me for other vehicles but it turns out I'm covered on my Volvo policy so not all lost.

I rang my current insurer, Adrian Flux and asked how much to cancel the policy. It turns out I will be charged £120.36!!!!! I played hell over the phone but they said it was the charge from the insurance company and not them. Although this time the lassie on the other end said she would tweak the policy and see if they can get me a better deal on my current insurance. She came back with the same policy as before and it was coming in at £424.69 (go figure!). So if they had said this in the first place I would have not even bothered wasting a whole day in the house shopping for insurance!!! :x

The upshot is if I cancel with AF and go with Kris Knott then its going to cost me £430.36 or stick with AF at £424.69!!! I almost told AF to cancel the policy anyway because they had really annoyed me, but the words cut, spite, nose and face came to mind.

If they try these antics next year then rest assured I will be going with another company and judging by the super quick service and favourable price it will likely be Chris Knott! Now I'm off to call Milton (still a cool name) and tell him to give me a call in October:thumbup:

Just called Milton again (great bloke) and he is going to ring in September just before my renewal:thumbup:

I rang my current insurer, Adrian Flux and asked how much to cancel the policy. It turns out I will be charged £120.36!!!!!

This is why I will no longer use AF. The concept of being charged to cancel over and above what you've already paid as a premium is pretty cheeky, but that's a f*cking joke. I would be definitely using the words "unreasonable charges" and " financial ombudsman" very strongly.

Norcounty came in the lowest for me (around £300 mark) although that was on a limited mileage.

If they say they won't insure you for DOV (Driving other vehicles) check your policy when it arrives as I have found that if fully comp and over 25 years of age it's normally on there even though on the phone they said it wouldn't be.

I know what you mean Doodle and I was spitting when I found out. OK I expected an admin fee or a small penalty but over £100 is daylight robbery, at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

Bodhi, many of the insurance policies you get these days do not include it, especially if its a "titled" policy. Even the big names are starting to phase out DOV. Be careful also of misleading wording that could be misread in some wa. I had one policy from NFU state "Policyholder can drive other vehicles not belonging to him/her under the vehicle loan approval scheme". This basically means that I can drive a courtesy car so long as the insurance company has provided it but at a quick glance could be misconstrued as DOV.

Back