Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Add Front Diff Lock, Use 80 Series Locker switch??

SteveS

I will shortly be fitting an ARB front locking diff. My LC100 has an OEM rear diff lock, OEM switch near the steering column. I have an idea to install a separate switch to power the compressor (so I can air-up independently), replace the 100Series Rear only diff-lock switch with an 80 Series OEM front and rear lock switch (hopefully a simple plug n play replacement) and wire the ARB front locker to the spare "FR" switch terminal on the new 80 switch.

Operation sequence would be: Off - Rear - manually prime the compressor with the separate switch - switch to Front.

Sounds like it should work - can anyone see a problem with this?

I have the US electrical circuits but can't find the UK versions (US vehicles had no rear diff locks) - if anyone has the UK circuits then please point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance

This is how mine is setup, fitted by the previous owner. The switching order will be Off - Rear - Front & Rear.

If necessary, I can drop the panel and see how it is wired.

... - if anyone has the UK circuits then please point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance
Which year do you have? Production year and month please.

(How about adding a sign.line)

This is the general function of the switch itself:

ScreenHunter_01 Jun. 05 13.13.jpg

Last edited:
uHu - it is a 2003 facelift model - registered Dec - manufactured month not sure. Good idea to add a sign line. Glad to see others have done it - seems to make sense and one less switch to clutter up the console. I'll get one ordered.

Doodle - Thanks for the offer to look behind the switch I don't think that will be necessary - two wires will already be there, the third will be new. The only question really is whether the switch pulls to ground or to 12V....I think either can be accommodated perhaps through a relay to the compressor air control solenoid. I'll get a switch on order as the locker and compressor has now arrived :)

uHu - it is a 2003 facelift model - registered Dec - manufactured month not sure. Good idea to add a sign line. .
...The only question really is whether the switch pulls to ground or to 12V....
Pulls to +12V via 10A fuse Gauge1.
See attached zip with diagram for RHD 8/2002 to 7/2003 production.
(Enter your VIN in toyodiy to see your production month)
View attachment r_28.zip

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back