Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adjusting handbrake on a 120.

Crispin,

As far as I know, Toyo only use (sell) the DOT5.1 and they assured me that is works i.e. mixes and replaces, any lower DOT fluid. I also read it somewhere. I replaced most of my fluid about April last year when I discovered a few leaks in corroded lines, and 5.1 was all I used. And since that agin when I replaced front calipers last summer. Worked perfectly since. You will need 2 people though. Don't let the fluid run lower than min in the resevoir. If you get air in the servo system, according to the repair maual, it's a right royal PITA to get it all vented again. Ideally have a man on the pedal and watching the fluid level and then run round the nipples yourself. Bit of a guess at which point old starts to change to new but you'll have a reasonable idea from the amount you add to the resevoir.

Yup, spoke to friendly parts man this morning and he said they would only top up / replace with DOT5.1 and mixing that way round is fine.
He's giving me a 1L bottle of 5.1. Hopefully it's not more.

Thanks
CP

Well, thanks for the help from TonyP, we replaced all the brake fluid in the LC. From the caliper I had off, a shed load of air came out followed by many bubbles. The front right caliper also had a lot of air in it (honest guv', I did not touch that one!).

I replaced the read pads, old ones were only about 50% worn and greased the pins. The fronts were only missing about 3-4mm of pad so opted to leave them on.

So far, there is no more yaw when I brake. Pedal is a lot firmer and brakes are better. Should improve slightly when the rear ones bed-in.

Question:
To push the rear pistons in is easy;piece of wood across the piston and a G-clamp turning it in slowly.
The front caliper has 4 pistons (two either side) and the caliper is fixed. How would you push those pistons back in? Remove the caliper? You cannot get at the piston square to push it back in.

Firstly, I only push the pistons back by opening the bleed screw. I don't squirt the fluid back up the system. But as long as you watch out for the rubbers then you can lever gently against the caliper with a flat screwdriver

Yes, and you need to try to two pistons together as pushing one in often tries to push it's 'partner' out unless it's restrained some way. Easier said than done as is often the case with these things.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You use the brake pads to block the pistons. I posted this tip earlier in the week I think. Oddly pads are the perfect size to fit between piston and caliper. Take one side out turn it 90 degrees and use it to cover one piston then move the 4th piston as required. It's worth keeping a worn out set so that you can pop them in and work all of the pistons to their limits if one is sticking

Chris

Back