Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adventuring Northern Cyprus to Romania Trip

Oh Dervis how upsetting and disappointing! All that work and preparation wasted - well not wasted really, but you must be gutted nonetheless.

So, looking longer term, it means your 4x4 expeditions will be limited to Cyprus or Turkey - unless you
re-register the car in Turkey? Is it possible to do a fiddle and be registered in N Cyprus for normal day to day stuff but also registered in Turkey ? That would get you on your way "next time" maybe?

Oh Dervis how upsetting and disappointing! All that work and preparation wasted - well not wasted really, but you must be gutted nonetheless.

So, looking longer term, it means your 4x4 expeditions will be limited to Cyprus or Turkey - unless you
re-register the car in Turkey? Is it possible to do a fiddle and be registered in N Cyprus for normal day to day stuff but also registered in Turkey ? That would get you on your way "next time" maybe?
That's really bad news.. sorry. Iv been following the posts.. surely they cant just deny you entrance. I take it you were trying to cross into Bulgaria Yeh. Whats northern Cyprus ever done to Bulgaria?... Wankers:disappointed:

Last edited:
That's really bad news.. sorry. Iv been following the posts.. surely they cant just deny you entrance. I take it you were trying to cross into Bulgaria Yeh. Whats northern Cyprus ever done to Bulgaria?... Wankers:disappointed:
Hi Higgy
Its not Dervis fault but northern Cyprus is not a country its a land grab by Turkey in an invasion by the Turkish army in 1974 murdering , rapeing, looting, and ethnic cleanz the area then flooded it with Turkish settlers no nation other than Turkey (for obvious reasons ) recognize the TRNC as they call it , But all is not lost as very soon talks are to be held for Cyprus to be reunited and the Turkish army leave . So maybe next year Dervis will make it with Cyprus EU plates on his CAR , as Dervis could have walked across as he is a Cypriot EU citizen .

Thanks guys for you’re kind words of support.
Yes it’s is diaspointing tbh and it was main purpose of the trip to see Clive and family , Chas and Josh along with anyone else that was to visit enjoying Romania.

Gonna make the most it for now guys in Turkey venturing a different route and appreciate the experience being my first time all the way back home.

Thanks guys for you’re kind words of support.
Yes it’s is diaspointing tbh and it was main purpose of the trip to see Clive and family , Chas and Josh along with anyone else that was to visit enjoying Romania.

Gonna make the most it for now guys in Turkey venturing a different route and appreciate the experience being my first time all the way back home.

Hi Dervis
Hope you have a great time as its going to be an adventure in its self going back home .

Hi Higgy
Its not Dervis fault but northern Cyprus is not a country its a land grab by Turkey in an invasion by the Turkish army in 1974 murdering , rapeing, looting, and ethnic cleanz the area then flooded it with Turkish settlers no nation other than Turkey (for obvious reasons ) recognize the TRNC as they call it , But all is not lost as very soon talks are to be held for Cyprus to be reunited and the Turkish army leave . So maybe next year Dervis will make it with Cyprus EU plates on his CAR , as Dervis could have walked across as he is a Cypriot EU citizen .
MAD!... Thanks for the explanation. their still wankers..My mate down the Marina is from Cyprus, but we call him ' Jimmy the Greek'. Im gonna interrogate him..:eusa-naughty:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
MAD!... Thanks for the explanation. their still wankers..My mate down the Marina is from Cyprus, but we call him ' Jimmy the Greek'. Im gonna interrogate him..:eusa-naughty:
Yes you do that , My family didn't lose any property or land or family members as we are from the Larnaca district in the south so we survived the invasion , but 160,000 Greek Cypriots nearly a third of us lost every thing , I hope Jimmy and family did not lose their property , possessions , and land . as people ran for their lives with just their clothes on their backs and anything they could carry in their hands , thinking the Turkish army would go back to Turkey in a day or two .

Do you get the same Agro! if you try to cross into Greece, then onto Macedonia and get to Romania that way.? Or is the distance too great.. Clives quite North isn't he ?. seems such a shame that's all...

Last edited:
Dervis, what to say mate that we haven’t said over and over during this torture time at the Bulgarian border.

It seems amazing to me that you were allowed through, but not the car. It’s a piece of metal FFS, who do these officials think they are? It’s not the officials I know, it’s the system, but the system sucks IMHO. It’s like being turned away because you wear a watch made in North Korea.

We’re gutted not to be meeting you here.

Ok, that bit is over, so here’s trusting you can have a relaxing homeward journey and make a holiday of it.

Please keep posting, I’m finding your photos and experiences in Turkey interesting!

Do you get the same Agro! if you try to cross into Greece, then onto Macedonia and get to Romania that way.? Or is the distance too great.. Clives quite North isn't he ?. seems such a shame that's all...
any one with TRNC plates can only go to Turkey with them plates on there cars , they can cross over to the south of the Island as Dervis does regular , But if to stay permanent in the south needs Cyprus plates , To go from Cyprus to anywhere else has no chance other than from the north to Turkey with TRNC plates (north Cyprus), cars with Cyprus plates can go anywhere abroad .

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Higgy, there was an option for Dervis to take a ferry to northern Italy, then Macedonia and eastwards to Romania, but he would have had the same problem at every border crossing, because none of the EU countries recognize the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).

Via Greece would have been a problem for obvious reasons ...

Dervis, what to say mate that we haven’t said over and over during this torture time at the Bulgarian border.

It seems amazing to me that you were allowed through, but not the car. It’s a piece of metal FFS, who do these officials think they are? It’s not the officials I know, it’s the system, but the system sucks IMHO. It’s like being turned away because you wear a watch made in North Korea.

We’re gutted not to be meeting you here.

Ok, that bit is over, so here’s trusting you can have a relaxing homeward journey and make a holiday of it.

Please keep posting, I’m finding your photos and experiences in Turkey interesting!
Its not the car its the plates on the car that are from an unrecognized area of the world . By letting it through unfotunally would be recognizing the TRNC as a legit country .

Ah! So planning a round the world trip in his truck with those plates on is a definite NO, NO!!!!. Its a' Buggers muddle' alright ... We need a Free Cyprus campaign starting.. Get the sticker man on here to knock some bumper stickers up, Put me down for 2.:)......... Tim. if your watching

Last edited:
Ah! So planning a round the world trip in his truck with those plates on is a definite NO, NO!!!!. Its a' Buggers muddle' alright ... We need a Free Cyprus campaign starting.. Get the sticker man on here to knock some bumper stickers up, Put me down for 2.:)......... Tim. if your watching
That would be great the people of Cyprus to reunite and the occupying Turkish troops to leave .

Guys as much as it’s frustrating and disappointing I have to accept the reality of what it is. I’m not focused on the political side of things as it serves only an agenda to those who want it this way. Either way I’m grateful to Clive and all you guys that made it much more meaningful for me with your kind thoughts and caring nature.:pray:

Maybe if interested for those who do overland traveling in the future Turkey may be of interest and thus a meet up could be possible this way. :whistle:

Guys as much as it’s frustrating and disappointing I have to accept the reality of what it is. I’m not focused on the political side of things as it serves only an agenda to those who want it this way. Either way I’m grateful to Clive and all you guys that made it much more meaningful for me with your kind thoughts and caring nature.:pray:

Maybe if interested for those who do overland traveling in the future Turkey may be of interest and thus a meet up could be possible this way. :whistle:

Sounds a good attitude Dervis. Hmm. I plan to drive down to Greece next May - with luck I could include Turkey and we could meet up...

DAY 8

Having parked up along a quite roadside next to the seafront and walking distance to the beach I packed up as usual and set of to the ferry crossing only to find queues to board very very long so that was a unfortunate miscalculation I thought to myself.

So in this reliasion I proceeded to drive further along down south for 30 mins to the other ferry crossing in the hope the queue would be so bad.

It’s probably advisable to cross at time tbh but that’s an observation well noted now.

Thankfully 35 mins of waiting in the queue boarded the small ferry with around 25 cars capacity and 15 minutes travel time to the other side. 40 TL all in and always I was with no more ferry’s to deal with untill the big one to Cyprus thankfully.

F96A609C-9C84-4AAC-9240-C99B8B472E04.png 2139759E-9F32-48F4-848C-46F43FDE2449.jpeg

Having stopped after a short drive if to make my much needed coffee
Sounds a good attitude Dervis. Hmm. I plan to drive down to Greece next May - with luck I could include Turkey and we could meet up...

That would be great Byron being that I’m still in Cyprus then. Thanks

A87BFE38-44EC-446E-9735-467F63820BE0.jpeg 8479D01F-3BAD-413F-A7E6-60AD66E6E495.png 511F64C2-A4FC-40F2-9E11-3D06A844DA97.png

With my coffee made and 1.30pm set of towards Izmir and along the way saw a hitch hiker so I gracefully slowed down and asked where he was going. Speaking very little English but Russian I understood he was going in the same direction and so we now both set off.

Having nothing set as a plan I decided to take the wind as it blows and I wanted to stop over along the way at a camp site if possible. Having tried out one to no avail I found a series of campsites along the coastal line down the steep mountain of 300m. Driving along and having discussed my idea with Oleg he was happy and in no rush in his travels here having traveled from Russia through Georgia to eastern Turkey right along the Black Sea towards Çanakkale where I picked him up. He set off on the 13th July from Russian town Armavir and traveled with no more than a back pack for his tent and belongings. That’s some traveling I gotta say lol.

So having ventured now together I found a camp site that seemed appealing called Kamp Olive and now set up camp in what was a busy season and luckily found a suitable spot to set up.

Oleg set his little floor tent up nearby shielding himself from the strong breeze here and now we where both set for the day and night.

EBE37FF2-7F2A-4955-AB5D-D9207B0EBFF9.png 1164ED72-66EC-4AE3-828B-4FDB32735FF7.jpeg 704C74DE-77C8-46CF-99AA-9E1619AFF482.jpeg 09C2B24D-D94C-44D5-A574-93720ECAB4CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back