Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice needed

Chas

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
england
As you all know I can't get insured for my Cruiser, but I can get it for lesser vehicles, so I will be veiwing a Mercedes E250 this afternoon. While pictures of it look fine, the owner says
"The engine is mechanically sound and is free from oil leaks etc. However the glow plugs are in need of replacement and when cold starting it runs a bit rough. The injectors also need servicing as under hard acceleration and whilst warming up it will run slightly rough and smoke(but still quite drivable). I'm more than happy to demonstrate this to the high bidder. This will happen occasionally, it is not a permanent fault and I have driven close to 2,000 miles over the past weeks at motorway pace without issue. It is not an oil related problem, it's injector related. I must stress that this isn't a major issue!"
Is this liable to be as he says "Not a major poblem" or should I walk away?

Chas why not bounce the question off Julian V as well. his missus had a merc estate so he may have some ideas for you?

adrianr said:
Chas why not bounce the question off Julian V as well. his missus had a merc estate so he may have some ideas for you?
Thanks Adrian, good idea, I've just phoned him but got the answer service, I hope he will reply soon, I'll send him an email too, but I will look at the car this afternoon anyway and go from there, the auction doesn't finish until Sat eve so I've got some time.

Chas i would walk away
as if it was an easy fix he would of had it done.

Im guessing that its faulty injectors and common rail so you are looking at a lot of money per injector.

but i may be wrong, if it was me i would wait for one you can get in a drive with no hassle.

Joe

silvercruiser said:
Chas i would walk away as if it was an easy fix he would of had it done.Im guessing that its faulty injectors and common rail so you are looking at a lot of money per injector.but i may be wrong, if it was me i would wait for one you can get in a drive with no hassle.Joe
I went to the Mercedes garage that looks after SWMBO's A class, they said 70 pounds per injector and that new glow plugs would be a simple job.
I drove the car this afternoon and there is the slightest of trace of smoke coming from the exhaust when starting and later when gunning it none at all, the owner said he had put some Redex in so it was probably just dirty injectors. I did check before starting it and the engine was stone cold.
All in all it seems like a good buy, one v small rust spot on the bonnet shut line and one on the bottom corner of drivers door, none at all undeneath, spotless interior with unmarked black leather. I shall definitely have a punt on this one, up to 1500 pounds max

Cossack said:
silvercruiser said:
Chas i would walk away as if it was an easy fix he would of had it done.Im guessing that its faulty injectors and common rail so you are looking at a lot of money per injector.but i may be wrong, if it was me i would wait for one you can get in a drive with no hassle.Joe
I went to the Mercedes garage that looks after SWMBO's A class, they said 70 pounds per injector and that new glow plugs would be a simple job.
I drove the car this afternoon and there is the slightest of trace of smoke coming from the exhaust when starting and later when gunning it none at all, the owner said he had put some Redex in so it was probably just dirty injectors. I did check before starting it and the engine was stone cold.
All in all it seems like a good buy, one v small rust spot on the bonnet shut line and one on the bottom corner of drivers door, none at all undeneath, spotless interior with unmarked black leather. I shall definitely have a punt on this one, up to 1500 pounds max
I take it at £70 per injector it's not common rail :?:
So it should be easier to work on. Happy bidding
Joe

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chas,

You do know that that that era was MB worst time for paint and corrossion issues.
I think this is well known, but just incase you had not heard about it.

Gra.

Graham said:
Hi Chas,You do know that that that era was MB worst time for paint and corrossion issues. I think this is well known, but just incase you had not heard about it.Gra.
Yes, Julian V had warned me, but I had a good look round this one and apart from two spots, easily renovated, I couldn't see anything else to worry about, but I only envisage keeping it for about a year anyway.
It is a lovely car to drive but doesn't have that unstoppability feel of a Landcruiser :cool:

Check front suspension mountings they corroded & break away at the very top, check for broken glow plugs as they seize & break in the head when trying to replace, this can then cause a misfire when cold.

1997 & on for a few years is when Mercedes produced bodies prone to rust, these cars can look good on the surface but the rust on the inner side of the panel is just waiting to jump out and meet you, have a look around the boot lock button, if it has been repaired it would indicate it has further issues hiding.

Thanks Dave, I'll go back and have a further look, suspension mounts were something I didn't look at. The glow plugs I did know about, the dash warning light is on and it's slightly lumpy when cold but OK when warmed up, but a Merc mechanic has told me it's a simple job to replace them. Did you mean have a look around the boot lock for rust or for something else?

It is a simple job, unless one or all of them break then it becomes a very expensive job, once the glow plug is disturbed it is possible for fragments of carbon deposits to enter the piston chamber & cause valve damage, if I was selling one I would put a £10ish glow plug in to cure the light problem, that would be much easier then explaining its an easy job to do.

The bad ones always corroded around the boot lock button, as far as I am aware Mercedes always replaced the boot lids & checked over the rest of the vehicle, resolving any issues they found, non Mercedes repair spray shops always repaired this area, but normally always shows signs of repair after some time.

Is it auto and if so, do all the gear changes change smoothly without having to rev the nuts out of it.

Looking at the price Mercedes gave you for an injector, this would make it a non common rail engine, would I be correct?

Thanks very much for all your advice chaps :thumbup: I've decided that although the Merc E class is going cheap it only had some service history and there could be a lot of problems with it in the future if not now.
I am now looking for a Mercedes C class to temporarily replace my 80, from what I've managed to google about them they are a better bet than the E class.
One I'm considering is a 1994 C200 sport FSH, 105000 miles, also considering a 1998 BMW 520i SE 5 Series again FSH, and 193000 miles, but that may be a bit dear on insurance.
What I'm really after is a cheapish large saloon, or estate, with a bit of 'luxury' and must be auto 'cos I'm a lazy bu**er. :oops: Not worried about age or body condition but wants to be good mechanically. Any advice welcome :thumbup:

adrianr said:
What about a nice Toyota Avensis d4d with leather etc?
Have you got one for sale then?

Sorry no. I used to run Camrys - fab cars.

And I think the Avensis is a really great and vastly underated ride.

Lexus is 200 also.

Chas,

I have a Lexus LS400. Mine is a mk4 which is the last of LS400's they were replaced by the LS430. Fuel wise if you drive carefully it will return high 20's \ early 30's mpg, use full throttle and you will see single digit mpg.

Quality wise I would say it is far better than any BMW or Merc from the same era. It is a 1998 with nearly 200k miles and the only non service parts it has had are some suspension ball joints.

Mines not for sale but worth looking at if you can get insurance.

Ian

Thanks Ian, :thumbup: they do look very nice, I'll inquire about insurance tomorrow.

Back