Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Advice Needed!

akebrill

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the forum and am looking for advice. I (with about 5 friends) am planning to do a big trip around Australia in the next couple of years. My partner and I are starting from scratch with a 70 series single cab landcruiser. I was looking for any advice I could get on what sort of modifications need to be done for the 4WD adventure.
I am also looking for advice on what products (like fridges and roof top tents and such) are the best to buy as well as any advice on what route to take, time of year to
Go and any estimations on how long the entire trip will take?
Finally I need advice on what sort of emergency precautions we should be taking like Sat Phones and stuff?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. From what I can gather on this forum there are plenty of experienced people and I would love to hear from you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi akebrill

I live Downunder and when travelling anywhere remote i have a Iridium 9555 Sat Ph. We are on a telstra plan using Iphone 5c phones. You can take the Nano SIM card out of the Iphone and buy a adapter that will enable you to fit the Sim card into the Sat Phone and use it on the same plan.You also have to get international Roaming enabled for it to work.

Also a list of what you are hoping to see? Also what sort of experience 4wding you have thus far?

I would be sure to get a 70 series Ute with Air/con and Dual fuel tanks standard.Also a Snorkel. A Headlight upgrade along with some Reallty good long range Driving lights. If you are going remote also a extra fuel filter and water trap to make sure the fuel is clean going to the motor.:think::think:

Thanks Beno!
I forgot to mention that I live in Australia as well. I was sort of just hoping to do some of the bigger 4WD tracks like the one to Cape York and stuff as well as go through all the capital cities and obviously down to Uluru but other than that I don't have much of an idea of where would be worthwhile. The great ocean road is also another big draw.
So far my 4WDing experience is mostly bashing around the bush and through the mud on my property and some of our friends but it's not much of a challenge. We are hoping to do a few modifications and then get into some more serious stuff that's more of a challenge.

Exploroz forum is the best place to ask for advice on these things. Its a dedicated forum for 4wd travellers in the more remote parts of Oz. It has info on camping/accomodation ,fuel availabilty, track conditions , fuel usage for many types of vehicles , outback communication eg VHF/satelite and a million other things. Probably 9 million posts on the best fridge to take.

Thanks very much RoscoFJ73. I will check it out now.

Back