Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fantastic! Thanks again for sharing all this Olazz. One question. You mentioned in Part 1 that a lot of the trails in Botswana are gradually getting restricted for self explorers. Did you find any official notification of this anywhere? I'm planning to do a similar trip but not before '14 (maybe even '15 :x) and I am getting concerned that I will miss out on most of these trails as I assume in the end you will only be able to drive those with an authorised 4x4 tour operator?

Hans,

This has been on the Governments radar since 2008/9 and the fees have risen steeply for all self-drive tourists in the parks. We did indeed see many NO ENTRY - PRIVATE PROPERTY, (trespasses will be prosecuted). These signs all the more incongruous as they were in the middle of nowhere, but clearly areas are marked a "private concessions" on Maps.

Its not just that, in the north east corner of Chobe, the parks now only allow a certain number of vehicles to drive certain roads... at staggered times (which you have to prebook), all in one direction. The best times being reserved for the tour operators.

It is further evidenced by the block bookings at all camps and parks in Bots, by the same tour operators. Hence they camps are always full... but there is no one actually there!

Oh and not just that... The Chinese, they're taking over the country with tar roads, where there was once bush....another deadly form of Imperialism in Africa has begun, this time from the East.

I wouldn't wait until 2015... may be too late.

Damn, just as I feared. Thanks Olazz. I'll have to persuade SWMBO we need to bring our trip forward.

It's the same with Namibia. We didn't see any evidence of the impact of China when we were there in 2005 (although I'm sure they were there already). Probably different story now. Oh well, I understand Angola and Zim are open for business again and Northern Mozambique is a great place to go...

Yes, we're off to do Mozambique and Malawi at end of November. Will try to get as far north in Moz as we can and loop through Malawi.
You will be able to read the trip report right here!!!

Sounds great, looking forward to reading it!!

Back