Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great blog.
Wonderful pictures, both the photos and the words.

That was a fantastic read Olazz, like a book you just can't put down, waiting eagerly for the next installment

Another great read.... how come you removed your link to Part I from your first post though?

Another great read.... how come you removed your link to Part I from your first post though?

Thanks Paul. I changed the part 1 to part 2 to show it had been updated. I moved the blog to Wordpress and a dedicated domain, so if you click the link you go to the site which has both part 1 and 2 on the drop down menu. Part 3 is pending.

Thanks Paul. I changed the part 1 to part 2 to show it had been updated. I moved the blog to Wordpress and a dedicated domain, so if you click the link you go to the site which has both part 1 and 2 on the drop down menu. Part 3 is pending.
Okay.... but why remove the link to Part I when the link to Part II can clearly be seen in post 12?

You could edit it so that post 1 shows the link to your new Wordpress Part I

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fixed it so it now makes more sense. Thanks for the heads-up.

Great read Olazz!

I think I may be tads disappointed when the instalments end.

Where to next?

Excellent photos and write up. Many thanks for posting.

Oh to be on the road again ...

Finally got round to reading this - your Bots loop is almost exactly the one we did in 2002 - we saw lion but no leopard. Linyanti is my absolute favourite spot - when no-one else is there!!

Our Hunters Road trip then was also devoid of wildlife but for one hyena and one ele. A badly-programmed GPS saw us wander (in the dark) between the red posts (old railway sleepers) and into Zim - did about 15 klicks before we figured that out, and skedaddled in a hurry, and on down to Nata Lodge, who were starting to get worried about us :icon-surprised:

Pity you missed Mankwe Bush Camp, near Khwai - very pretty (run by the Sankoyo Trust - the road sign you show pointing left to Khwai and right to Sankoyo didn't exist when we did that trip, so we got misplaced for a while then too - all in the fun of things!!!)

If you head that way, and look for accom. on the Livingstone side, you can try Thorntree River Lodge (http://www.thorntreelodge.net/) and also Chundukwa River Lodge (http://www.chundukwariverlodge.com/pages/factfile.html) which has (or had) a 4x4 campsite a little bit upstream from the Lodge where you can self-cater on the banks of the Zambesi. Great guys there - got us down to the White Water Rafting section (great day - SWMBO hated the climb back up the gorge - very jealous of the guys who choppered down to the ject boat and then back out again :lol: ), Flight of Angels in a microlight over the Falls and Ele Riding in Zim, as well as horse riding and a trip into Livingstone itself ... to be recommended.

Sorry about the Lions - you'll just have to go back and search the desert Lions of the Kalahari out ...

Damn - I feel like packing up right now ...

Nitty Gritty page & and updated Gallery now published, if anyone is still interested.

I like the Nitty Gritty section, very interesting and always helpful when planning ahead. Pity about the National Luna and supprised as they have a good reputation. Has made me think about getting one.

Yep Warren, really disappointed with the fridge. On some days it wouldn't get below 4º. Its probably run for no more than 500 hours in 2 years and is still in warranty. I have left it with Nat Luna in CT to see if they can sort it out. I bought the 50 weekender which has a 10L freezer and 40L fridge. An engineer at NL said oh yes, the weak point of the 50L weekender is the motor!!! I thought they all used the same motor.

Would I buy another.... not sure but apparently the WE version is a real compromise. Might end up swapping it for a 74L twin instead.

Last edited:
Look at 2 fridges rather - one for fridge and one smaller one for freezer that you go into once a day only, and can be left switched off when empty. Much more efficient (you don't try to chill a big empty space) and easier to arrange packing options ...

The thing is space Garry... always need space. I'm having R&D build a storage unit behind the front seats that SWAMBO has designed..So the flat fllor was a good initial idea. And you're so right about the constant opening, one thing we did realise pretty quickly, that a double (2 single controllers) fridge was probably the better decision.

Nice one, enjoyed reading through that.... some great photos you have there too.

So when do I get to find out what the round disc on the spare wheel is for?

Maybe its of these..........................

:think:

Back