Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

After market parking sensors for 2004 J120

winterhalder

Country Flag
great_britain
Has anyone done this and do they have any recommendations or advice?

Thanks in advance.

I took mine off in the end and fitted a reversing camera instead. Think that's more useful because it gives you visibility of any kids etc low down behind you

I am now thinking about a reversing camera - does anyone have any recommendations?

If you're having a camera try and fit it at least halfway up the back door or preferably at the top, so the lens can point down at an angle, so you see the whole of the rear bumper and as far out behind as the lens will allow.
Seen too many cameras on vehicles that look straight back which gives you little accurate distance perspective to how close in reality you are when reversing up to another car wall or worse still a post, looking straight back is ok on offroad tipper wagons and the like where the driver is more concerned about running over site workers than precise close maneuvering.

We have high set reverse cameras on our tanker trailers at work, mine is sited about 8ft up (so top of LC back door an ideal in my humble) looks straight down so i can see the rear bumper and the tank outlet that sticks out slightly more, plus about 8ft back from the vehicle, all crystal clear plus has infra red built in so works just as well in the dark and illuminates any shadows caused by the multiple reverse lights, can back that vehicle up to within 2" of anything without worry, so if going for it suggest buy a really good one.

For reversing sensors i recommend Steelmate, more expensive than the usual tat but they work well and all individual parts can be bought separately, had them fitted to the Hilux incl the front set too (wired to the brake light switch), the better sets come with a small led display which sits on the dash, with different LED's lighting up to show you which sensor is triggered, i could sit in the car and track an otherwise unseen child or animal walking across either end of the vehicle.
I had a sparky fit mine, fussy chap who spent a long time adjusting the positioning and angles of the sensors, time and money well spent.
For all i know Steelmate might also offer cameras but haven't looked.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This is my hgv reverse camera that's fitted on my grab wagon.
Superb reverse camera and awesome night vision.easy to fit and just connect to reverse wire.
Will find my link were I bought it if you haven't already got one.
Was only around £35 to £40 I think.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204_145555_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204_145555_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200808_205426.jpg
    IMG_20200808_205426.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 22
I seen somewhere (I think it's a brochure) that the 120 from 2007 had the reverse camera option and it would appear on the sat nav screen.

I wonder if that's something that can be retrofitted...

Back