Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

AHC WOES

Hutton

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
This evening on the way home the 'OFF' light for the AHC started to go on and and off. At home I switched off the engine and then started it up again a couple of minutes later. The 'OFF' has stayed off but the suspension won't lower or raise and is stuck in the normal position. This is all I need as I was thinking of parting with my Cruiser but now I will obviously have to fix whatever is wrong. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge of what may be wrong. Thanks in advance.

Further to my original post - when I try to go to low or high the green light flashes a couple of times and then returns to normal. I don’t know if that helps the diagnosis. Thanks.

1. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. The inside of my reservoir is dirty and its not easy to see the level, I had problems when it ran low.

2. Check each of the three height position sensors (one either side at the front, one above the rear axle). I had the ball joint fail on one of my front ones and the AHC stopped working until I (temporarily) wired it all together.

DSCN9609.JPG

3. Is the pump running when you select a height change ??

Good luck.

Bob.

1. Check the fluid level in the reservoir. The inside of my reservoir is dirty and its not easy to see the level, I had problems when it ran low.

2. Check each of the three height position sensors (one either side at the front, one above the rear axle). I had the ball joint fail on one of my front ones and the AHC stopped working until I (temporarily) wired it all together.

View attachment 330452

3. Is the pump running when you select a height change ??

Good luck.

Bob.
That gives me something to go on. Many thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don’t have a techstream I’m afraid.
I have an old laptop with techstream on it and OBDII socket cable connector I use to read codes etc on my 2013 Hilux if that’s any use (insch, Aberdeenshire)

I have an old laptop with techstream on it and OBDII socket cable connector I use to read codes etc on my 2013 Hilux if that’s any use (insch, Aberdeenshire)
That would be great Andy. It would give me a definitive answer. I can come out to Insch at a time convenient to yourself. I’ve sent you a message.

Last edited:
And @BobMurphy was correct - thanks !- front passenger side height position sensor upper bracket had snapped Just above balljoint, so the balljoint bit was hanging down. I zipped tied it in place temporarily.
i could not see where rear one was.
we checked these before attempting to connect laptop with techstream, but
we couldn’t use techstream - the diagnositic socket on the 2001 100 in engine compartment was different shape to my OBDII laptop cable.

but pretty sure it will be the height position sensor

nice to meet you Hutton

passenger side
E92DCEA9-E5D0-4D40-98FD-E156DE915970.jpeg

driver side ok
F56B52DC-3186-4C09-B828-886593F420E0.jpeg

A huge thanks to Andy for sorting out my problems and fashioning a temporary fix this morning. It was great to meet you and Georgie and enjoy a good natter over coffee and a rather nice homemade brownie. Just another example of what a great club we belong to.

we couldn’t use techstream - the diagnositic socket on the 2001 100 in engine compartment was different shape to my OBDII laptop cable.
Psst: Next time, use the OBD plug below the steering wheel. The Diag plug under the bonnet is not for OBD readers.

Psst: Next time, use the OBD plug below the steering wheel. The Diag plug under the bonnet is not for OBD readers.
we couldn’t find it ! So assumed it didn’t have one when we found diagnostics socket under bonnet

Ok thanks Jon - not obvious like in my Hilux. Good to know if I ever help a cruiser owner again.
In this case figured fault old skool way - crawling under the cruiser and spotting the detached height control sensor arm/balljoint due to snapped upper bracket.

@Hutton have you got yours sorted yet, I'm having the same issue on my 200 series, waiting on a new Sensor from UAE.

@Hutton have you got yours sorted yet, I'm having the same issue on my 200 series, waiting on a new Sensor from UAE.
It wasn't the sensor that was faulty on my Cruiser. The problem was the bracket to the chassis on to which the sensor was bolted that was rusted through and had split. My local garage who are marvellous fabricated a new bracket and after a bit of welding everything was fine once again. I hope you get sorted out soon.

I've just followed Andy's lead and done a temporary repair with stainless wire, it's at least drivable again, but I can't raise or lower it, I am back at normal height though, and got some damping again.

New sensor should be here Thursday.

Reactions: Raj
It wasn't the sensor that was faulty on my Cruiser. The problem was the bracket to the chassis on to which the sensor was bolted that was rusted through and had split. My local garage who are marvellous fabricated a new bracket and after a bit of welding everything was fine once again. I hope you get sorted out soon.

great to hear it was fixed Hutton and my temp zip-tie no longer needed :)

Back