Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Also going for a little jaunt.

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
A few days ago, I decided to take a drive down to Algeciras, and jump the ferry to Morocco.
This was very much a 'spur of the moment' decision.
I am not sure of any particular route, to get down, and have no particular places to go when I arrive in Morocco.

I have the 2kw inverter fitted, supplied with a pair of 35mm welding cable.
Now fitting the 2x35mm cables through the firewall bulkhead, through a 25mm plastic compression gland, almost had me screaming.
Any way, it's done now.
1 lead for positive, via a 100 amp fuse, situated next to one of the 2 batteries on my 120. and a negative return lead.

I have decided to use 240 volt table top freezer, and a 240 volt table top fridge.
80.00 and 69.99 respectively.
On a side note, the freezer draws around 55watts, as does the fridge. I expect the 2kw inverter to perform effortlessly.
12 month guarantee, so if they pack up, I just send them back.
I am sure, as I will 99% stay on tarmac, they will be just fine.
These will sit, strapped down on a 100mm foam, on the middle row of seats.
I have fitted 2 x double 13 amp rcd sockets,
Fridge will occupy one, freezer will occupy one, and the other 2 can be for laptop, and for some other low power stuff.
I have just completed the rear shelf, all carpeted in the space, normally where the third row of seats is positioned.
The shelf measures 1400mm wide, by 900mm from the back of the middle row of seats, to the back door.

I plan to set off on Tuesday morning, taking a pit stop at 'Terrain Tents' in East Sussex.
I will (me and Terrain Tents) fit the standard roof tent, and Mark will show me all the necessary how to open, use, and close.
As well as how to take general good care of it.
I spoke to Mark, and he will have a roof tent, and an annex ready for me.
I just phone half hour before I arrive.

Then it's the ferry from Dover to Calais, and head right down to Algeciras.
I don't know how long it will take, but I get there, well thats when I arrive.

Then quick ferry leaving from Algeciras to the new Tanger Mediterranean port.
This new port opened 17th May this year.
Quicker crossing, as it is shorter.

Well, that's the plan any way.

Graham

Bon voyage Graham, I did this a year ago now, let us know how the new ferry is, . . . and watch out for those giant spiders in the desert :o
Chas

Cool, if you do the style of driving like i do (red bull till you nod off then sleep a couple of hours in the services) then i did Algcerais to Calais in 36 hours as i stayed a bit longer in Morocco, that way i timed going around Madrid and then Paris on consecutive Midnights to arrive at the tunnel at 6am, all nice quiet times and then a huge breakfast in a cafe in Folkstone :dance:

Paul said:
Cool, if you do the style of driving like i do (red bull till you nod off then sleep a couple of hours in the services) then i did Algcerais to Calais in 36 hours as i stayed a bit longer in Morocco, that way i timed going around Madrid and then Paris on consecutive Midnights to arrive at the tunnel at 6am, all nice quiet times and then a huge breakfast in a cafe in Folkstone :dance:

Hi Paul,

I will do a couple of 12 hour drives.
I am quite used to the long distance driving, having lived in SA for many years.

Thanks for thje nice comments.

Graham

Graham said:
A few days ago, I decided to take a drive down to Algeciras, and jump the ferry to Morocco.
We are off to Maroc on Thursday :thumbup:

It's Lucy's Birthday so I told her I'd take her on a cruise.... the Butlins boat to Bilbao :D

We should be crossing into Morocco on Sunday (29th) morning.

Keep an eye out for us.
875067692_YVeJM-L.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Paul,

Are you taking the ferry direct to Bilbao?

If all go's well, the the Warrington leave date is Tuesday around 9 ish.
Then maybe get the evening ferry Dover to Calais, or wait for first light Wednesday.

Do I need to book? or will I still get a reasonable price without booking?

Graham

Graham said:
Hi Paul,

Are you taking the ferry direct to Bilbao?
There is only water between Portsmouth and Bilbao so, yes we won't be getting off the boat mid way ;)

Graham said:
Then maybe get the evening ferry Dover to Calais, or wait for first light Wednesday.

Do I need to book? or will I still get a reasonable price without booking?

Graham
I have always just turned up and brought the ticket 'at the gate', I don't know if it is cheaper by booking.

Graham said:

Do I need to book? or will I still get a reasonable price without bookingGraham
It's always cheaper to book online. I have a friend who recently used the cross channell route, checked the price before going as about £35 :cool: and forgot to book then turned up at the ferry and was charged £86 :shock: , I can't remember which ferry company that was though.
Chas

Back