Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternative Bumper Lights

Ballard

Country Flag
uk
I'm going to do the Prado upper light cluster conversion but I'd also like a better solution to the grotty UK spec bumper lights. I really do not like them.

Has anyone tried to find alternatives, such as trailer lights, that could be fitted into the existing bumper light aperture? I'd like some sort of nice sealed plastic unit that isn't going to rot, ideally.

Old and new.

old-lamp.jpg

new-lamp.jpg

I considered replacing them with something else and Pajero lights , i don't know what year , were the most similar i could find , then i looked a led trailer lights etc etc and ultimately decided its not worth the bother .

Because i have the upper lights wired up i feel the bumper lights despite being a legal requirement serve no practical purpose so i might one day remove the lights , glass over the hole and fit some small marker lights instead . Just have to convince myself i won't eventually end up with a steel rear bumper anyway :crazy:

I thought that it was probably unlikely that there would be a nice, easy more or less like for like replacement.

I do, however, like the idea of doing away with the bumper lights altogether and just having a couple of reflectors and maybe a single fog light, like a Prado. Would this be a legal/MOT pass option?

I used Milner lights as replacements 2 years ago (which were fine, although others sometimes report problems)

I cut up an old, thin rubber footwell mat and bent it over to form a loose horizontal 'tunnel' covering the back of the lights, open at either end. I can't remember how I fixed it in place but it was pretty intuituve and didn't need any hard work

It just deflects a proportion of the road crud/mud being flung directly at the back of the lights

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You might get away with it but strictly speaking no not legal because the spare wheel on the door hides the upper lights when open :icon-rolleyes:

Back