Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Alternator output a bit low?

Chris, whip it off and run it down to you local auto electrician - they should have the regulator and brushes on the shelf for about the same price as the kit from the US and taking the alternator in ensures you get the right parts - there are a couple of subtle differences between the models.

Yeah, we have a local place Julian. I shall take it in. But the part form US does match the numbers I have. Took it off this morning and cleaned it. It was absolutely packed. Back on - no difference.
Never mind. At least it won't overheat now.

Chris

Well after a deeply frustrating day where nothing really seemed to go right, I got around to taking the alternator off again as the Postie had delivered my new regulator from California. All the part numbers matched as I said earlier. It was the correct plug for the loom and was an exact match for the holes etc in the body of the alternator. All back together, mounted and tensioned. Got it started and the volts came up a bit and hit somewhere around 14. looking good. I put it on a fast idle and the volts hit around 16 and the turbo light started to flicker. Clearly not happy. Even the dash volt meter was showing high. Idling with lights on etc it didn't seem to power up to meet the demand particularly.

Now the batteries have had a charge on the drive so they weren't flat exactly but I wondered if somehow the alternator was banging in massive (relatively) charge to bring them up to speed as it were.

Yes yes I know I can take it to my local place and they'll test it, but I'm very busy and the part looked right and was cheap. Like less than £30 so well worth a punt.

Does anyone have any wisdom on this one as to what might be happening? At idle it's still not really making 14.4v

The alternator is a load of windings, some contacts and a regulator - right? So it can only be the reg, I presume.

Chris

sounds like its not regulating the output as it should so could be a faulty part.

I just went out and measured mine on tickover I'm gettin 14.17V and at 2000rpm I'm getting 14.47V

Thanks for that. That's helpful. I shall look again tomorrow when I have had a [strike:2838f71g]gallon of beer[/strike:2838f71g], [strike:2838f71g]vat of wine[/strike:2838f71g], good night's sleep.

C

Took the alternator in today. We have a very helpful local car parts place. I'd replaced the regulator thingy but it still wasn't right. They fixed the voles but then rang back and said there was another issue with the hamps. I wish I understood. :lol:

So they offered me a recon unit, which I took. They didn't charge me for the work that they'd done. Results? Well it was a bit tight going in but all connected up OK. It's certainly making electricity and I have to say that the lights seem brighter if nothing else.

No point faffing around. When it's bust it's bust. And after all it's older than my kids!

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you got it sorted in the end. Even if it wasn't the way you had originally intended :thumbup:

But it still doesn't give the voltages that you have posted. I have a voltmeter and a simple alternator tester. The voltmeter reads true as far as I know and is showing between 13 and 14 volts. The simple LED tester is giving full traffic lights. As in OK.

I might pop back and have them check it whilst on the vehicle. All they do is alternators and starters so they should know what they're doing.

Chris

Chris said:
No point faffing around. When it's bust it's bust. And after all it's older than my kids!
Ha ha ha :) Glad it's sorted now!

Back