Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I doing the wrong thing?

Funny thing is that this post is nearly a year old and I still have the LC.

She's in the body shop at the moment having the odd shopping trolley dent and bumper scratch seen to. In the meantime I've been driving a mini cooper D around for a few weeks, which has been fun and slightly more fuel efficient (about 60mpg) and only £20 year tax. But everytime I need to do something, go to the tip, take the kids somewhere I miss the truck.

It has to be said that with every other model of car I've owned and I'm up to about 55 at the mo, deciding to change takes a few days. But giving up the truck isn't a decision taken lightly!

I have recently had a newer Touareg (61 plate) as a loaner whilst my 120 got repaired. It was the 3.0L V6 TDI, 200BHP variant, and was a really nice drive. Very car like, and also very quick, I can't imagine what the V10 would be like.

I think Andrew summed it up perfectly, in that it's not a off road vehicle. The one I had did not have the air suspension either and when Crispin and myself decided to erm "test" is up a pile of sand, it did get up in the end, but made a real meal of it. Also resulted in a few scrapes on the bottom of the front spolier, luckily black T-Cut disguised it enough to give back to the hire company :lol:

Would I buy one.... yes but only if I never plan to off road, and only if I never needed the 8 seats in my 120.

The VW Touareg, sounds very much like an "X5" type of vehicle.
Not really intended for any thing more off road than a grassy field.
Even then, there is every chance it could come "un-stuck"
Nice, but not a true 4x4 off road type of vehicle.

Gra.

I have owned a Touareg (alas the 3.2 V6 not the V10 - which I always drooled over) ...it was a beautifully built vehicle that was a pleasure to drive, I thrashed it for 150'000k's both on and off road here in New Zealand. It never missed a beat until one day the air suspension started playing up - that was eventually an NZD$8,000 repair bill. That did it for me - back to the 'Made in Japan' gear. Have since had a Nissan Patrol 4.2TD (that was a superb truck - it was genuinely bulletproof) and now have the VX100 4.2TD - not quite as robust as the Patrol but a far superior all-round vehicle to drive...it is LC for me because it is so damn easy to live with.

I've almost gone off the idea of the Tourareg V10. As said, if I ever own one, it will be new and only for racing up and down the motorway. I don't think I'd keep one past the manufacturers warranty.

Back